1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tuning a RIC BEAD.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willsellout, Feb 2, 2013.

1. willsellout

willsellout

Have any of you done this? I want to be able to use my Ric in my current band, but I can't without at least a low C#. So I figured I'd just drop it to BEAD versus Drop C.

I'm planning on some Circle K strings, with a .130 B. I know I'll have to widen the nut slots, which is fine as I have the tools. I'll also be spending quite a bit of time setting it up again and dealing the dreaded intonation....

Any other advice from people who have done this? Did you get favorable results?

Thanks!

Dan

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

I have my 2008 4003 strung BEAD currently. I used a set of DR Sunbeam 5s. I was a little apprehensive when I did it, but I am pleased with the results. Oh, and I had one of the Hipshot replacement bridges installed. I wanted to avoid having to deal with the original bridge.

3. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah I had one of the Hipshot bridges on my last Ric. I didn't have any real issues with it, but I definitely didn't like the saddles moving. I might be switching back to the Hipshot though. The Ric bridge is just such a pain, and it impedes my playing with a pick because of where I play. it slices up my palm.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

BEAD works fine on a Rick. Just remember BEAD is less tension on the neck than EADG is. So you will have to back off the truss rod a little.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I like to convert my 4 string Ricks in 5 string basses ...

[​IMG]

7. willsellout

willsellout

What gauge and type of strings are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

8. gurensan

gurensan

I always thought they were too narrow as a 4!

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Many people think the Rickenbacker neck is too wide.

I use a carvin 5 strin nut. So they are the same width at the nut as a 5 string Carvin.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Usually .130 to .045

11. willsellout

willsellout

Well I set it up BEAD today. had to file the nut a bit but I used .125, .105, .085, .065 strings.

It's not the best B string I've ever heard, but it sounds quite good. I'm letting it sit over night and I'll finish any setup stuff that it needs tomorrow.