1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tuning bridges - bests & bewares?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by freatles, Jan 10, 2014.

1. freatles

freatles

On the drawing board, going for the 'nomics and light weight, looks like tuning bridge is the best bet.

What are some bad experiences you had with tuning bridge(s)? In other words, what to watch out for?

Do tuning bridges even work as well as tuning machines?

And which ones can you recommend or know as great design?

Personally I'm looking at ABM 3901B's, very expensive but at the moment only tuning bridge combo for 5 string I know I can reliably order to here.

Yup, these are single's. Costs me about 260€ (350$) delivered for the bridge alone - Soo Im interested in alternatives - even making tuning bridges from stock parts myself.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass freatles.

Not too many options available, at least on a budget, but still more than in the late 80's I wanted a headless, but didn't have the dough for a Steinberger, this is how I chose to do it.

[​IMG]

Somewhere here in the Luhiers Corner there's a thread about a DIY mono-rail tuner bridges, might be worth a search.

Edit: Found the thread where DIY headless tuners were discussed http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/obtaining-cheap-headless-tuners-288131/index2.html

Regards
    Sam

3. freatles

freatles

Nice design! I have also made some sketches where ordinary tuners were placed at the end.

Anyway, I've found out ETS in Germany makes a headless tuner + bridge (MK III) for 5 string basses for about €180 ($120) delivered. Anyone use ETS MK III? Good/bad/ok?

Possibly could shave 1/3rd off that, getting a cheaper Fender, Goldo or Warwick bridge (in front of the ETS tuners).

[​IMG]