1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuning double bass half step lower

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by El Loco, Dec 30, 2013.

1. El Loco

El Loco

Hello everybody,i'm a electric bass player fell in love with double bass a year and half ago.
    i'm looking to get a gig in a band,they play many styles,most electric bass,sometimes acoustic,they play everything tuned half step lower.
    When i tried to tune half step down my Slap King double bass with Innovation Silver Slaps on it,it seems that the tension is too loose,on E and A strings in particular,it's hard to have a precise pitch.
    There's someone who can recommend a brand or a gauge of strings for double bass for this particular problem?
    Suggestions are appreciated
    Thank You
  2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    If you want to stay with the sound and feel of the Innovations, the Super Silver set has a little more tension but the best bet would be the Psycho Slap set.

You will need to re-cut the nut and bridge slots to accommodate them (they are FAT strings!) but they will handle the semitone drop much better.

Or you could try Spirocore Stark. ;)
  3. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I would think Super Silvers are a good idea, if this is not enough probably Ultra Blacks.
    I have no idea of the Psycho slaps, Jake has seen a lot of basses, so his opinion might be better than mine.

Silver Slaps are about the same tension than some lower tension gut strings, so a bit more tension is needed in original pitch to tune down and still like to play them.

BTW, Jake's Spiro Stark was a joke, but when I had to play with baroque recorders in lower pitch, I had to tune down my Spiro Mittel (which always felt to hard for my hands during this time) by about a halftone and they sounded soft and were really nice to my hands then.
    So, it really depends on the string if tuning down gets a nicer or a more worse experience.