Tuning double bass half step lower

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by El Loco, Dec 30, 2013.

1. El Loco

El Loco

Hello everybody,i'm a electric bass player fell in love with double bass a year and half ago.
    i'm looking to get a gig in a band,they play many styles,most electric bass,sometimes acoustic,they play everything tuned half step lower.
    When i tried to tune half step down my Slap King double bass with Innovation Silver Slaps on it,it seems that the tension is too loose,on E and A strings in particular,it's hard to have a precise pitch.
    There's someone who can recommend a brand or a gauge of strings for double bass for this particular problem?
    Suggestions are appreciated
    Thank You
  2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    If you want to stay with the sound and feel of the Innovations, the Super Silver set has a little more tension but the best bet would be the Psycho Slap set.

You will need to re-cut the nut and bridge slots to accommodate them (they are FAT strings!) but they will handle the semitone drop much better.

Or you could try Spirocore Stark. ;)
  3. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I would think Super Silvers are a good idea, if this is not enough probably Ultra Blacks.
    I have no idea of the Psycho slaps, Jake has seen a lot of basses, so his opinion might be better than mine.

Silver Slaps are about the same tension than some lower tension gut strings, so a bit more tension is needed in original pitch to tune down and still like to play them.

BTW, Jake's Spiro Stark was a joke, but when I had to play with baroque recorders in lower pitch, I had to tune down my Spiro Mittel (which always felt to hard for my hands during this time) by about a halftone and they sounded soft and were really nice to my hands then.
    So, it really depends on the string if tuning down gets a nicer or a more worse experience.