1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuning down to Drop D

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by P Bass Legend, Jan 2, 2013.

1. P Bass Legend

P Bass Legend

First of all, hello everyone!
    My guitar player decided to write a few songs in Drop D and I was thinking if by tuning down my E string to D (1 step down) will hurt/warp/damage/**** up the neck of my bass in eighter short or long period of time. I don't plan on tuning down the whole bass, just the E string.

PS: I plan on doing that on a Fender AVRI 62 P-bass strung with Ti flats (JF344).

Thank you.
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

nope wont hurt a thing. I only play in drop d. All you will need to do is raise your e string saddle up a half turn or so to make sure the looser d string isnt flopping on the frets. no neck warping or anything like that on my p basses
  3. Luke19Boarder

Luke19Boarder

It's fairly common to tune that way, unless you have the most fragile bass out there, you should be completely fine.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1
  5. P Bass Legend

P Bass Legend

It won't hurt a thing even if I do it back and forth? I mean, I don't plan on keeping the bass as DADG forever. I plan on tuning up and down in between songs.

Thanks for the answers.
  6. bassman.bob

bassman.bob

Think about a 5 string? No re-tuning for any weird guitar set ups.
  7. obimark

obimark

I tune down to D for two songs my band does and then tune back up. No problems at all.
  8. P Bass Legend

P Bass Legend

I really like the tone I get with my current bass, I don't plan on getting a 5 string.

That's nice to hear. What I'm worried about is by doing that at every pratice/gig it could cause a damage in a long period of time, but looks like it's just a myth.

Thanks for the answers.
  9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
  10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

^^ he's got the idea. That switch makes dropping to D and back up very easy.

And changing tunings won't hurt your neck. I frequently have to change between drop D, E standard and Eb standard in the current band that I'm in.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I go back and forth several times over the course of a gig. I don't like or trust the Hipshot. A good tuner and about 8 seconds is all it takes.
  12. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

I have a Hipshot on every bass I own. I swear by it. I can't imagine tuning to or away from drop D in between songs when I can just flick a lever.
  13. P Bass Legend

P Bass Legend

Hipshot xtender is a good ideia, but I have no problem downtuning manually.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions!
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yup - love my Hipshots for Drop D... and to the OP: no neck damage from doing this...

- georgestrings