Tuning in fifths. Chords & transposing help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], Jan 18, 2014.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist Supporting Member

So I got a five string tuned to fifths. Any one know of any site/app/book that I can transpose or are already transposed. Just looking for an easier route than making my own chord book
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

This may be of help to you, a thread on tuning an instrument in all fifths. You might also want to re-check your standard finger pattern and invert them upside down - just as an inverted fourth is actually a fifth, you can invert your all-fourths chord grips to get the same chord in an all-fifths tuning.
  4. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

How are u tuning it- whats ur lowest note. I was also wondering what's the reason ur tuning in 5ths?
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com
  5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

you know you have the same 12 notes just rearrenged differently ... you tune in fifth and you don't seems to have the knowledge to connect the dot right now ...

If you know your notes it should be easy to to find where those notes are now ... read music ?
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Sorry, but I don't get it. You are using a non-standard tuning and don't explain why and you can't play the bass that way. Sounds like you should go back to standard tuning if you can't figure out how to play the right notes.
  7. longfinger

longfinger

The easiest route is to know the names and sounds of the music notes, know the instrument, know standard notation, use your ear and figure out your positions and chord voicings yourself. There is nothing to transpose. The pitches stay the same, what changes is your finger positions on the frets.

If you want help with fingerings, you can pick up a cello pedagogy book and that may help you out in a rigorous and progressive way. The 5ths tuning, C-G-D-A will give you the same open string (different octaves) as cellos, violas, and most 5th tuning upright bassist. Music for cello will become a lot easier to play on a 5ths tuned bass as the open spread voicing become more accessible.

Here is a page to get you started. Enjoy!

http://www.celloonline.com/cellofingeringchart.htm

Oh.. the cello has a shorter vibrating string length than an electric bass, it's more like a guitar. So the 4 notes plus two extensions per hand position is too much for a person on an electric bass. Just simplify it, use less notes per position.
  8. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

Yeah, you got me, I'm a beginner. The 5ths tuning is for range. I'm tuning aebf#c#. The A is at 13hz. Thanks for the links. I have work to do
  9. Jensby design

Jensby design

:rolleyes: Well then, you're out of tune :rolleyes: (G#0 12.98hz :meh: A0 13.75hz) [​IMG] Circle K or Octave4plus ?
    And just because everybody says it to me: :scowl: nope can't hear that :scowl: no speaker can make that note :scowl:
    :scowl: you're lying that's not possible :atoz: that's not musically :mad: GET OF MY LAWN :mad: :smug: I'm an professional audiologist how knows all things and just happened to have time in my busy audiologist carrier to correct people on internet forums and you can't hear that I KNOW ALL :smug:
    :ninja: you didn't hear anything :ninja:

Well I think that about covers it. The lowest I have gone was D0 18.35hz not many tune lower than I do.
    I guess you're number 10 :meh: I need to step up my game
  10. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

Octave 4 plus. And I'm deaf. Also, 13hz feels pretty good.
  11. Jensby design

Jensby design

[​IMG]