Tuning my EBMM StingRay BEAD?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Hey guys,

So I've recently considered tuning my EBMM StingRay 4H BEAD instead of the traditional EADG. Why? Simply put, I use a B string more than I use a G string, and I'm much more comfortable performing with 4 strings than 5 strings.

I was wondering what sort of adjustments I'd need to make in order to keep the neck stable (assuming I could even do that) with this kind of tuning. Suggestions on strings for this kind of thing are also welcomed :)

Thanks!

2. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Bigger strings. I suggest a 5 string set and throwing out the high G. That should do it. Ou'll probably have to adjust the action to compensate for thicker strings and tweak the truss because of the increased tension. The nut should be okay, but you might have to widen to fit the bigger string. You can take some medium sandpaper and go for just the sides of the nut slot, be very careful not to deepen the slot or to break off big chunks of the nut.

3. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Any other thoughts on this? The more specific the better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

As already mentioned, the only adjustments that should be required are standard ones... tweak truss rod, check intonation, check nut slots, etc. This is not an uncommon direction to go regarding strings. And the Stingray neck is more than up to the task. No worries....

7. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

If your MM has the compensating nut, Id get a whole separate replacement made (or make one my self) for that tuning and string size. They aren't cheap or easy to come by.

8. GK Growl

GK Growl

I recently converted one of my Squier P/J basses to BEAD (down a half step flat) and did the following:

1 - Usually use DR Hi Beams 110 90 70 50 so I decided to go with Hi Beams 135 110 90 70.

2 - To widen the nut slots, I actually used the larger strings, very carefully using them as a file to remove from the sides of the slots only (not the bottom).

3 - Before restringing, I went ahead and moved the "A" string saddle to the "E" position and then moved the others accordingly to rough out the intonation.

4 - With my string of choice, I actually had to loosen the truss rod a little. Contrary to what most people assume because the B string is bigger, that it must be tighter and this is generally not the case.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

For the nut, I was actually thinking of possibly buying a new 5 string one, removing the G string slot, and then installing that new nut on the bass. That way I don't mess up the old one and can go back to it whenever I want to.

10. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

The slots depth will be right, but the spacing could be off. Just a thought, I don't have much experience with the 5's.

Maybe some one with both could measure theirs and chime in.

Im starting to G.A.S for a MM 5er now.... must quit posting :D