1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuning peg damaged by string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AndrewM, Jan 22, 2014.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

While restringing my bass, I noticed that the tuning pegs had been chewed up by the strings quite a bit. It's nothing that affects playability or functionality so I'm not concerned about it. I was mainly curious to see if anyone else has had strings cut into their tuning pegs at all. I was using DR hi beams when I took the strings off and saw what had happened.
  2. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Pics? I've never had this problem with any of my basses. I imagine it might happen if the string is slipping badly on the post. I don't see how it would occur from normal string changes and tuning. If they're black or gold tuners then maybe some of the finish may wear off around the post but it should not be "chewed up".
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Need to see pix. What brand of tuners? What type of finish?
  4. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

Just switch to flats. :bag:

And now I'll be leaving......
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

I've never had that happen unless (as previously stated) the string is slipping around the tuning peg. Make sure you're wrapping them tight when you put the strings on.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Pics, please. Preferably in focus.
  7. AndrewM

AndrewM

They are warwick tuning pegs, which if I remember correctly are brass with a black coating. So in retrospect, it seems possible that the black paint might have been worn through by the string and now the brass is showing through. I'll try to get pics up when I can
  8. elBandito

elBandito

After many string changes and tuning, chrome plating on my 08 US precision tuners chipped off quite a bit. Doesn't really bother me tho.