1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuning Problem - Imprecise Notes on Higher Frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anarchipur, Nov 26, 2012.

1. anarchipur

anarchipur

Hi,

after tuning my Yamaha BB424 bass I noticed that on the E string the notes on the frets around the 12th fret have a shift about a quarter of a tone higher than the note should be.

How should I adjust the bridge to get the right notes on the higher frets without distorting the overal tuning?
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Sounds like an intonation issue - if a note that's fretted at the 12th is sharper(higher) than the open note on the same string, that saddle needs to be moved away from the nut - effectively making the distance from the nut to the bridge longer(scale length)... I'm not familiar with your particular bridge, but there should be a way to move each saddle forward or backwards...

- georgestrings
  3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

"Overall tuning", as in, affecting other strings? Changing the saddle on one string will do nothing to the others unless the bridge is one piece with no adjustment (it only slides forward and back).

If the bridge saddle is as far from the bridge pickup as possible and the spring over the screw is compressed between the saddle and the end of the bridge where the screw head is, it's possible that the saddle was installed backward and the break point for the string isn't able to move to the correct position. Can you post a link to a photo of your model, with the same bridge?
  4. anarchipur

anarchipur

Thank you, I think this is the solution. I will try to move the saddle on the bridge for this particular string away from the nut.
    Thanks!
  5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

6. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

As I understand it the problem is that the formula for fret spacing varies with string diameter and the spacing used on multi-stringed instruments are thus a compromise.

You could get one of these:
    http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php?go=1&sgo=4

Or you could get your intonation set up on your regular bass as good as possible.

(or go fretless and manage the intonation problems the old fashioned way!)
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

That's the answer you're looking for!
  8. mtsens1

mtsens1 Merle Supporting Member

Make sure to check / adjust the truss rod first.