Tuning recommendations for 15pr400 2x15.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 3rdcurve, Oct 2, 2012.

1. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

So after trolling the amp forum for what seems like forever, I am going order a new cab this week. I have decided that my playing style should lend itself well to a 15pr400 loaded 2x15. It will be approximately 22w x 40h x 16d. I figure a net volume of 5.2 to 5.4 ft3 after bracing and porting.

My question, is what tuning frequency will work best for me? I am running a GB Streamliner 900 through a p bass. 4 string with occasional drop d tuning. I like running the 900 through cabs with a very controlled low end. It worked great with my sealed 810 and my acme flat wound stack. What tuning will help subdue the big bottom of the Streamliner yet remain full and articulate. Ideally I would like the -10db point to be around 36-37 hz to catch the fundamental of drop d tuning.

2. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    There is the greenboy Dually... Its smaller than what you propose, and it'll handle B strings well.. If you are going forward with what you have, if you can navigate WinISD, you want to manipulate the response curve to be relatively flat from about 60Hz up.. that will cover the first harmonic with drop D nicely

Be very careful working the alignments though.. Too large of a box/too low tuning could introduce displacement limitations (speaker fart) at a low power level..

3. astack

astack Supporting Member

:cool: I was just playing with modeling the old SVT driver's T/S specs that Kringle77 so kindly shed some light on recently, so thought I'd see what can be done between the two.

Assuming 1 cf for each speaker, an 8x10 CTS SVT has a 1dB bump at 150Hz, f3 @ 80Hz and f10 @ 53Hz.

A 2x15 of the Faitals in a SEALED box with 1-1.5 cf each will be pretty similar to the SVT, with either slightly less of a bump (@3cf) or a slightly higher roll off (@2cf). Very similar SPL, too.

Interestingly, a ported 2x15PR400 box @ 2cf @ 25Hz is nearly a dead match to the CTS SVT, but still has very low group delay and doesn't over exert down to 19Hz! Hmm, that should be VERY interesting for some guys...

If you want to go ported and get to that upper 30's Hz -10, you're in the 40+/- Hz range with that size box, which is a good place. A bigger box would get you a steeper roll off -- more controlled DEEP bass, but the f3 goes down by something like 10Hz. I'm not sure what -10dB really means, IMHO. Not enough experience. I could image some guys saying it's just a totally bogus "marketing" stat. I think it's most useful for conveying how fast the roll off is. I still think your -3 or -6dB is far more important.

My 1x15PR400 is Vb = 3-4 cf @ fb = 35Hz and sounds great, FWIW. Nice smooth roll off.

All in all, the speaker's designed to work right where us bass player want it, so it's pretty forgiving, overall. And the mids and highs will sound great no matter what you do. :hyper:

Do share what you end up with!

4. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

I have a 2x15 loaded with 15pr400's that should be arriving in the next 2 weeks(after waiting twice as long as originally quoted). I requested a tuning in the mid to low 40's. I plan on building a single driver cab next week and haven't decided on the tuning yet. Want to keep it articulate with good power handling.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThisBass

ThisBass

Num of Drivers: 1
    Vb: 70..100 liter
    QL: 7..10

Fb=45Hz looks pretty fine by modeling with Bassbox Pro.
    Fb=40Hz is also in the range but, your ears have to decide the tuning ...

I don't suggest Fb below 40Hz,
    probably a well designed sealed cab does this job way better...

edit:
    BTW WinISD is very erroneous with dimensions of multiple ports

7. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

I was messin with winisd,
    I think I am gonna with 2.8 net ft3 and tuned at 45hz.