1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tuning the Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bucephylus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

This is, perhaps, a terribly stupid question; but, I'll ask anyhow.

Tuning my upright with the meter, it is pretty easy to see (and hear) pitch variations of +/- a few centi-Hz, depending on how hard the bow is driving the string. Since these differences are audible, I have often wondered what constitutes correct tuning.

Thoughts?

2. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

It's very easy to bend the pitch sharp either with too much pressure or speed. It's much harder to bend flat. Just use a steady speed and not much more weight than the stick itself.

3. flyingpanda96

flyingpanda96

Isnt a stand up bass tuned like a standard electric?

4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

It's the other way 'round.

:cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bucephylus

OK. But, when you are playing you are driving the string with similar variations in pressure depending on dynamics. I'm just asking for insight on where to adjust string tension as a function of bow pressure. Setting close to zero bow pressure isn't characteristic of how the instrument is played and would seem to result in the instrument being a few cents sharp while playing.

Again, maybe I am missing something, because no one, including past teachers ever discussed the point. However, since I can hear it and see it I thought it might be interesting to ask.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Wait, you can TUNE them?

8. bucephylus

Maybe I should have asked for pointers on acting like its in tune.

9. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

It's also not characteristic to play only on open strings, so any other note can be adjusted to compensate for bow speed/pressure, right? Tune the open strings to mf pressure/speed as a sort of middle ground and go from there, I guess.

10. klem.gote

klem.gote

Disclosures:
    Bass Player
    Those twisty things at the top. Turn them, stuff happens.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Does it matter which way?

12. jazzbill

jazzbill

Wasn't it already in tune when you bought it?

13. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Pff. The bass has no frets for a REASON, people.

14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    Exactly, you need to use your ears to fine tune each note depending on the dynamics.

No string instrument comes with guaranteed perfect tuning (even pianos go out of tune :eek:). You play guitar or fretted bass and depending on how hard you press the string with your fretting hand and how hard you pluck the tuning can vary a lot.

That's the way it is. We try our best but it never gets perfect.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Yes, but some kid turned one of the twisty things and he won't tell me which one!

Thanks for the set up, by the way.

16. bucephylus

Sheesh; you guys are tough. I guess the answer to my question is a big secret. Thanks:meh:

17. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

OK, fine. It is Christmas after all...my cheapo Snark tuner bounces around like crazy during the attack phase of the note. It tends to even out if I allow the note to ring without touching it with the bow, or, better still, tune to harmonics.

18. LowG

LowG

That's why it's best not to play open strings

19. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

And you beat me to it.
    Ha, ha. . .the old club date bass player and the kid joke :)

20. bucephylus

Thanks Santa!

Agreed Harmonics are more representative of the un-driven string. But, you can also get that by tuning pizz. I just had noticed that the driven string is sufficiently sharp as to be noticeable, and didn't find any comments by searching. So, thought to ask. Maybe a mistake.

21. jake3

jake3 Guest

I generally tune using pizzicato as I mostly play that way. The tuner definitely jumps around. I try to disregard the initial attack and see where it settles, then I often use the harmonics to "fine-tune."