tunings n' ****

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pushbuttonfour, Jan 26, 2013.

1. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

I want to make all songs for our band a whole step down, to make the high notes easier to sing. Is it a bad idea to basically have the standard tuning for my guitar/bass always one whole step down? We are writing originals and doing covers, btw
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

It depends on the songs you're covering. A whole lot of songs wouldn't sound right a whole step down. Barring that, why would it be a bad idea?
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    try a half step first.
  4. JakeF

JakeF

You could do just drop D and transpose the key down a step.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

just because it's not standard, so if we ever wanted to do a song in standard we would need to retune for a while. Just wanted to know if there was any reason I would ever need to go back to standard
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Well, besides the reason I mentioned I can't think of any. Like I said, some songs need to be done in the tuning they're written in. If I was you I would get a second bass and detune it, then tune the other one in whatever tuning you plan on playing in.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would just use a five string in standard, and transpose, personally.

Or even better, use my four string and transpose, and not worry about playing the low notes. But that's me. We play everything in standard tuning, unless it's one of those songs that HAS to be drop D, or tuned down 1/2 step, because we like to play stuff in its original key.
  9. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I recently got me a set of taperwound strings and tuned one of my bass down one full step. The thing to do is to have the string gauges (thicker) right so that the tension is good and the strings don't feel "flubby".
  10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

''to make the high notes easier to sing''

Not trolling here, but that's where I approached it on the wrong way.

I wanted to do some whole step down things too, but the vocal ''sets'' the kind of tuning you have to play. If your singer can get that deep vocals, you'll be fine. Don't think your singer can be down tuned :p