1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TurboRat-like distortion with blend or no low end loss

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dugachug, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dugachug

Dugachug

Anybody know of a pedal like this? Where i can get a good grind similar to justin chancellor of tool, or do i gotta pair the Rat with an EQ?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Pair it with a clean blender instead, you will get better results.
  3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use a BOYC Mouse with a boss LS-2. You can mod the Rat to get more low end out of it, but using a blender is really the best way to do it.
    I have an EQ after the Mouse aswell, just to tame some of the frequencies.
  4. Lebowsky

Lebowsky w00t? Supporting Member

fuzzrocious rat tail
  5. taurus1

taurus1

I've been blending a Turbo Rat for years, I now prefer to eq it (which is actually how Justin Chancelor uses it, not that that matters to me).
    I've started using a Sansamp VT Bass for my low gain grind and it's working out great.
  6. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

http://xotic.us/effects/base_bb/

Bass Preamp with dirt and a bass parameter for your low end loss issues. Haven't tried it yet but heard good things and a pretty reputable builder.
  7. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

DOD bass grunge
  8. Drop-D

Drop-D Supporting Member

This.

I use a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail and Oh See Demon for my primary dirt pedals. And, at the end of my chain I used a Fuzzrocious Broke D*ck Peanut Gallery. The BDPG lets me EQ in more low-end if I feel like I am losing too much and even lets me add some more dirt. It's a win-win combination. In fact, I used to run the Turbo Rat (LM302 chipped) and EQ pedal combo. I ditched it for the Fuzzrocious stuff and have never looked back.

You can check out clips of all the pedals I mentioned with various settings on the Fuzzrocious website.
  9. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

My G&L SB-1 with the OG MFD pickups provides most of the grind though
  10. Dugachug

Dugachug

Thanks for the replies. The Xotic is pretty close but not quite. I liked the sound of the Darkglass Microtubes B3K, but i can't find it anywhere for US dollars. It's probably about expensive as a Rat + LS-2 + GEB-7 but saves space on the pedalboard.
  11. El-Bob

El-Bob

A Turbo Rat blended with a Boss LS-2 have been my only effect pedals for like 6 years. That combo is super versatile, you can get anything from a light grind to a straight-up fuzz. Just get the LS-2, I would say. For what it's worth, I've used it in death/thrash metal settings, alternative rock settings, and even some more up-beat Christian Worship settings.
  12. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Yup. Put it into LED clipping mode, and adjust the 1 and 2 knobs and you are there.
  13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Digitech Bass Driver has a Rattish setting. The tone, blend and morph knobs make this a very tweakable pedal.
  14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I think the mxr m80 might be what you're looking for. the distortion channel sounds a little similar to the proco rat.
  15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

+1 on the digitech bass driver. I own one and it sounds awesome. and yes it can deliver a proco rat type sound as well as a warm overdrive and an extreme fuzz-like distortion. it's not as extreme as the boss obd-3, but it's pretty versatile.
  16. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Fuzzrocious Rat King be an even better option than the Rat Tail they do as it has two distortion settings so you can set one for grind 2nd setting for full on fuzz. Haven't looked back at all in regards to my Rat King.
  17. omie

omie Supporting Member

Another suggestion for a Rat Tail.

I've got a tail, Geb-7 and xotic blender... rat tail don't need no extra eq'ing or clean blend. Rat Tail is is flexible and sounds as good at subtle settings as it does at extreme settings.... which is why the Rat King is also popular around here.

Problem I've had with some other OD/Distortions is that they have a sweet spot and everything after that is some level of blegghh... and anything that loses the fundamental low tone is a no no, if you're playing bass.. in a band. So... Turbo Rat into GEB into LS-2 or just get a Rat Tail.