1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Turning 8x10 to 4x10/1x18 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sam adams, Feb 13, 2013.

1. sam adams

sam adams

I have an Ampeg Classic 8x10 currently. And it's fine. Very punchy and whatnot. But I've been toying with the idea of removing the bottom four 10's and having a new baffle cut for a ported 1x18 to get more depth while still relying on the top 10's for punch/clarity/cut.

Would that just be stupid? Anyone ever played a 4x10 + 1x18 setup?:bag:

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Just as bad as a 4X10 and 1X15 rig.

Ampeg already tried it once before - SVT1540 - one of the worst cabs they ever made, and not made anymore.

Plenty of threads around this forum on why mixing speaker sizes is not recommended.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Yes.

4. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

don't do it. If you need more low end from the cab then get a different cab. (insert fEARful, Barefaced, etc, reference here)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you are thinking that the 18 will provide more low end you are acting on a myth. Size alone does not contribute to the amount of lows a driver can provide.

+2 to posts 2, 3 and 4.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Lotta work just to take something that's awesome and make it not awesome.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I built my own bass cabs. I have 3 2x10, 2 1x15, and 1 1x18. All are 8 ohms. For playing out I like a 2x10 and a 1x18 together with an Ampeg B2r. It is easy to haul in a small car and it competes with a 8x10 fridge size cabinet. Don't cut up your 8x10 ... if you no longer want it then sell it.

[​IMG]

9. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
  10. zcwilkes

zcwilkes

From all the other threads I've read on mixing drivers I'm going to say it's a bad idea too. I believe the only acceptable way to do that is with a cross-over?? I would stick with the 8x10 personally.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed with all above. An 18 is not going to add more bottom, just mess up a good cab. The SVT810 cab is a monster, but not known for it's big bottom. If you want something with more beef, sell the 810 and get a ported 4x12.

12. Standalone

Standalone

13. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

No just remove the other 4 too and make it into a 2x18.

Just kidding...oh wait hmm maybe...nah nevermind

yah the 1540 was a horrible cabinet 4x10 and 1x15
    a single 18 would be the same

try a 2x15 if you want more low end. then add another 2x15 just for the heck of it.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    The 1540 is the very worst Ampeg cab I have ever heard. Sorry to those of you who are fans, but this one came and went quickly with good reason.

Our TB buddy Johnny April from Staind, however, uses a rig with two PR810h's, two custom 218 boxes, and 4 giant JBL horn tweeters from the 70's, and loves it. But he got everything with separate cabs in case he didn't like it ;) And also, the 218 cabs were optimized for two 18"s, whereas the 810e is optimized for eight 10"s.

It's a really big investment in potentially screwing up an expensive bass cab to replace the baffle and install an 18" in an 810e.

15. superjesus

superjesus

I'll go against the grain and advise the OP to make the modification.

The best lessons are the ones learned the hard way. :smug:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Best answer ever!

17. kdogg

kdogg

The 810e is all about mid and low mid punch, and does that job superbly, in my opinion of course. Don't get me wrong, it will go low, but there are other cabs that are voiced to go lower and are still in the 810 format. The Mesa PH810 and the SWR Megoliath are two that come to mind.

+1 to trying a different cab, and selling the 810e if you're happier with the result. Less aggravation, less money, and the added benefit of not destroying a great cab in the process.

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Are 18s still around? I've loathed every 18" I ever tried. They generally require large cabinets, and in my experience deliver more mud than bass. Depending on how loud you play, I'd recommend either a 2x10 on top of a 1x15, or a 4x10+2x15. Separating them into 2 seperate cabinets has the fringe benefit of making them much easier to transport.

19. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Me too. Really. Why not drop in a divider and play with porting?
    :bag:

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

21. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Just send that 810 my way and then you can go and get some different cabs :D