1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

turning a 2006 Epi Ripper into the original (pickups, string through)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ocoaibass, Dec 4, 2013.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

So I picked up a really pristine reissue this week. I've got SD Custom Shop Ripper pickups coming, as well as a new pickguard.

What I need is some advice about the wiring and the string through body.

1) what size pots would I probably want to get the old Ripper sound? Right now its got 500KA for volume and 500KB for tone. All the wiring diagrams I've found vary.

2) any Ripper owners want to chime in on how your bass sounds strung through or if you've messed with not stringing it through to see how it varies?

pics to come.
  2. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

3. aquateen

aquateen

4. Greevus

Greevus

Glad to see you received it okay. I wondered after it was mailed :)
  5. mav

mav

Are you getting the pickguard to the same specks as the Epi?
  6. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Yeah! I meant to let you know but I must've been so excited that I forgot.
  7. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

You can use the pots your epi bass has The original has a 300k for volume and 250 for the midrange and tone pots. But you can keep the 500K, i'm sure it'll work fine. BEsides, one less thing to get. Also, if you're investing in making it the original schematic, get the 4 position rotary switch. or 5 if you want to solo the neck on top of that Or just ditch the out of phase for the neck pup only. It's really your choice. Other than that, if you're changing the brige to the classic three point go ahead. But really, you dont need much to replicate the original. You'll have a bolt on version of the original xD good luck
  8. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394008499.224090.jpg

Phase 2 complete:
    -routed body enough space for reissue pickups
    -replaced & repositioned the pickguard
    -installed the custom shop pickups
    -new Pro Steel strings
    -shimmed the neck & set up intonation; truss rod; action
    -installed Strap-loks

My next step is to drill holes for the string ferrules so I can get this thing strung through the body. After that, she's ready. A little nervous about that last step. I've never done it before...
  9. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I kept the 500k pots for the time being. I want it to be full & I play BEAD, so big pots are probably the way I'll continue to go. As for the switch, I went with a basic 3-way. It was a challenge to figure out where the 3rd wire from each pup went. I took them to ground. :/

Not sure I'll replace the bridge. This is a high mass brass bridge. Can't find a replacement that says solid metal. Lots of aluminum, but no statement saying a solid bridge. I've put BadAsses on both of my Fender style instruments (Fender 5string jazz; Ibanez Roadstar II w/ SDQP P/J's).

Anyone care to comment on the Hipshot SuperTone?
  10. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

IT's a direct replacement for the traditional 3 point bridge on gibsons and epiphones. You have to drill two large holes probably into the bass just to instal it. A lot of people seem to like it. Personally, i think it's too big
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

String-through makes zero difference in how a bass sounds unless it produces a big change in break angle, and then any notional "improvement" is so slight as to be irrelevant. Leave it alone.
  12. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Cool bass and cool mods!

That being said, there's no way that it's intonated properly. If I'm incorrect, feel free to fling poo at me.
  13. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

You got me. I took this picture once the pickups were in, but before I actually set the truss rod , action, & intonation. Good eye!
  14. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

The bridge on it now is high mass, solid brass. It sits flush (like a BadAss Bridge). I wonder if installing the hipshot would actually reduce sustain because it's mounted ABOVE the wood a bit.
  15. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I appreciate the perspective, but this is definitely akin to global warming. Some say its smoke & mirrors , some sweat by it.

I'm looking for people with Ripper basses who have tried both & comment on THIS exact bass. Again, I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.
  16. aquateen

aquateen

I have a '76 Ripper and have strung it both ways. through body requires extra long strings. but Bongolation is correct. sounds the same no matter how it's strung.

[​IMG]
  17. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Thank you @aquateen