Turning Gift Cards into cash?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

So for my birthday that just passed, I was adamant on getting gift cards from a certain store because they carried a certain brand of basses that I wanted to purchase.

I ended up receiving $500 in gift cards to this store.

I just discovered something with the bass brand I wanted, and for the time being, I'm not too keen on buying something from them. This music store isn't that big and only stock two other brands of basses, both of which I don't want either.

So now I have $500 in gift cards that I'd rather have the equivalent in cash so I can go to other stores/online and buy another bass that I want.

On the back of the gift cards it clearly states:
    "This Gift Card is non-refundable and has no cash value."

How do I go about retrieving the best dollar for the gift cards? Put up an ad on Craigslist - advertise it as $500 (maybe $450), or best offer? Go into the store and buy the best deal I can find and then sell off what I can in the used market? Unfortunately this store only stocks new basses though, so I'll take a decent hit.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

P.S. I don't want to disclose what bass brand I was looking into yet, or what happened that made me change my tune. I just read the news now, and haven't heard back from the company in question, so I'm not sure how they'll handle the issue. I also feel like I'm acting out of emotion... But regardless, other basses have caught my eye, especially used ones, and I'm curious how to go about this in any case.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
  3. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Thanks for that, this store has only a few outlets in Canada only, so I'm not sure if they'll do it for them, but I sent them an email request anyway... Fingers crossed.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

Does the store carry used? If so you may want to talk and see what they (or the owner) has in the back room.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

No... I wish they did.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

Sounds like it is a small store. Nothing wrong with asking for the owner and explaining the situation, that they just do not have what you want. Maybe they can offer you some kind of refund or trade. Worse thing you are in the same position you still are in.