Turning Old Furniture into Magazine Furniture

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iamlowsound, Dec 31, 2011.

1. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

My wife tends to like things/furniture that is well outside of our current price range and would prefer our house to look like a magazine. After a very successful experience building a table for our kitchen (see: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/space-problem-kitchen-826152/), my wife decided that she wanted her dresser looking nicer. Sorry, I don't have any before pictures, but it was a white and 80's ugly mess before I got my hands on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The wood strip that you see along the bottom will be getting painted black, to match the drawers, it got missed when I was doing the rest of the painting :crying:

lowsound
  2. pedroims

pedroims

how you did that grey finish? looks cool
  3. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Wallpaper. Easiest thing ever. Find some that you like, cut an inch oversized, wet, place, let dry for a few days and trim with a sharp knife. The whole thing cost under $30 to do; paint, wallpaper and new hardware.

lowsound
  4. pedroims

pedroims

thanks... I have couple of drawers. good spring project :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tsal

Tsal

Yeah, it doesn't take much to turn an old piece of garage sale furniture into a new "designer" stuff. Usually it just takes some minor chopping up and a layer of fresh paint.

I've done a couple of old wooden dining tables, one serves as my dinner table and the other is still at my friend's place as a large round coffee table. Each 100% wooden table cost less than the cheapest piece of junk from Ikea - not to mention can always be remodeled again! :)
  7. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Nice work bro
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This could be a show on HGTV or DIY Network.

-Mike
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I am watching HGTV while I wait for the world junior game between Canada and the US to start. I can't wait to buy a house and do it all the way we want it.

lowsound
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't wait. Advertise your service on CL, the local paper, get noticed. You could turn this into a TV show easy. Like the Yard Crasher guy show.

-Mike
  11. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I already do some of it on the side. I am starting to do concrete countertops as well. That is what I would ideally like to do as a side business. I would do more, but I lack time as I am a full time student.

lowsound
  12. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Bump

Just in case anyone else wanted to see a super easy way to make old furniture look great.

lowsound