Tweeter crackle on AE112

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tbone0813, Jan 3, 2013.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

So I picked up a Berg AE112 and noticed that after I turn the tweeter up about a 1/4 I get a crackle noise. Similar to what bacon sounds like when it is frying. Any ideas or troubleshooting tips?
  2. mingusfingaz

mingusfingaz

just email jim. he'll help for sure. great service.
  3. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    The tweeter is not the bit with the mouse living in frying bacon, the amplifier or the active electronics in the bass guitar is where the bacon frying sound comes from.:bassist:
  4. tbone0813

Just did. Thanks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tbone0813

Huh?
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It's possible the tweeter has been blown, but, if it's in good condition, it's simply reproducing noise made further up stream, ie: doing it's job.
  8. murphy

murphy

Have you not being using the cab with the horn up?
    My Bergs have done that before....but gone away after useage.
    Horn needs to be turned up and used .
    just my experience...Hope it is something simple for you.
    i assume you tried different bass...battery in bass....cables and connections?...amp tube?
  9. tbone0813

I have only had the amp and cabinet for a couple of days. When I first hooked it up I didn't bother to see where the tweeter control was at. Today I was tweaking the amp and just happened to look on the rear of the cabinet and notice the tweeter control was all the way down. When I turned it up I noticed the crackling noise.

I am not sure how much the tweeter was used prior to me getting the cabinet nor do I know how old the cabinet is.

I did try a different instrument cable but I don't have another bass or speaker cable right now. I'll see if I can get a hold of another speaker cable tomorrow.

Thanks.
  10. KJung

KJung

Most likely, the noise is coming from your amp and being reproduced by the tweeter. While their could be a problem with the crossover, tweeters are typically 'work or not'.

Turn the tweeter up to noon and then try to eliminate possible causes in you signal chain (cable, speaker cable, amp, bass).
  11. tbone0813

Thanks. So far I have replaced the instrument cable and ran the amp without my bass connected ~ Should I assume, that if there is no bass connected to TH 500, if I don't hear the noise then it is not the amp?
  12. KJung

KJung

Not necessarily, but I would doubt it is the TH500, since it doesn't have a tube in it and there have been no other problem reports.

If you have a way to try a different bass, then you will know. It could be a damaged crossover/tweeter, and Jim can help you there. Make sure to check the power cable.

Often, when there is an issue in the signal chain like a low battery in a preamp or a misbehaving preamp tube, the 'noise' caused by that is in the upper frequency range, and it will exhibit itself as a 'tweeter issue', since the noise will be coming out of the tweeter at a much higher level than the woofer.

Good luck, Jim is great at customer service and should be able to help you diagnose the issue if it turns out to be the cab.
  13. ms1369

ms1369

Same thing happened with my last Berg.
    Try turning the tweeter control back and forth all the way about 100 times, did the trick for me. Good luck, hope it works for ya.
  14. tbone0813

I had a low battery in my bass. I replaced it and now the crackle is gone. Thanks everyone.