1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tweeter for MarkBass amps (151p and 121p)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Agito, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Agito

Agito

Hi
    As I already said in my previous my tweeter is not working anymore and for someone else I know.
    I don't want to mess with MarkBass tweeters cause they died already a few times for me, what other tweeters can fit these two amps?
    I would like to know about some strong tweeters that can withstand aggressive playing and effects and not die after a while, and of course I would like the tweeter to be top quality and sound good.

Thank you in advance
    Danny.
  2. Agito

Agito

3. Agito

Agito

Sorry for another bump, it's very important for me to change the tweeter, I don't like the sound of my MarkBass w/o the tweeter and I have some rehearsals and a show soon.
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Wish I could help you out, but just not sure. Some piezo tweeters don't even use a crossover, which would destroy a more traditional type of tweeter if you just pop one in there.

My feeling is you probably have two options:

1) Get another MB tweeter replacement (I'm sure they would send you one), put it in there and then sell the combo (this would be my suggestion.. then get a cab with a more heavy duty tweeter with protection system... reset switch or light bulb circuit, since you seem to really give these things a workout for some reason).

2) Take the combo to a speaker repair shop and have them take a look at the crossover (if there is one) and determine if there is a more heavy duty tweeter you could put in there.
  5. Agito

Agito

I like the sound of the MarkBass really transparent and sounds great flat, what I would like to do is to find a better tweeter that can survive and sound better.
  6. Agito

Agito

Another bump, I need to find a solution, my amp sounds weird without a tweeter :(
  7. Agito

Agito

Bow-bidi-bow bump
    I still need help with this... please :(
  8. Agito

Agito

And another bump, if someone can just tell me what kind of tweeters can fit beside piezo or what should I look for it would be great, it's very important for me.
  9. David1234

David1234

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I can't help but think that you're just playing way too loudly, and should stick with another markbass tweeter (it's a LeSon isn't it? Like in some older SWR gear. They're great!) but try raising the amp higher above the floor and make sure the tweeter is pointing at your head and not at your knees, so you can hear it while it's set at a more reasonable volume.

As stated previously, if you go for something like the Eminence APT80 you'll need a crossover, plus the APT80 is slightly comparatively sterile/harsh if you're used to a LeSon.
  10. Agito

Agito

These terms are like Chinese for me :p are those tweeter names?
    And my tweeter is a piezo MB tweeter, I'm just looking for a replacment tweeter, I like the sound of the amp but the tweeter is always blown (3rd time already) so I'm looking for a replacement
  11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

It may not be a tweeter at all. Could be the L-Pad volume control burnt out. (this can happen if you turn them down near max becaue all of the wattage is dropped across the L-Pad. Not sure about Markbass but Avatar uses a 15 watt L-Pad. These regularly burn out as you can use up to 25 watts RMS at the tweeter.
    Parts express sales a 100 watt L-Pad.
    Here it is:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-660
  12. Agito

Agito

I don't have that in my combo... it's the tweeter, I'm 99% sure.
  13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The problem isn't the LPad, it's the crossover. The 12dB high-pass filter used by Avatar allows far too much low frequency content to pass through to the pad, and the tweeter too for that matter. In pro-sound use the accepted minimum high-pass filter slope is 18dB/octave, with 24dB/octave preferred. Do a forum search, there exists a 24dB mod. A 24dB filter greatly increases both LPad and tweeter protection, and it allows lowering the crossover frequency significantly, to help fill in the huge response hole between the woofers and tweeter.
  14. dalkowski

dalkowski

Man, these tweeter problems are keeping me away from buying a MB combo, despite LOVING the sound when I played it in-store. I think I'm going Genz when I hit the lottery.

Good luck to the OP.
  15. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

we don't need no stinkin' tweeters!!!
    20+ years,... not one tweeter,... ever!!!

just trying to make you feel better,... (how 'bout a hug)
  16. Agito

Agito

Unfortunately I need the tweeter the MB without the tweeter sounds dead and I'm more into modern sound then old school besides the Fender Precision I have
    so that's kind of a bummer for me :(
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Please post a picture and the measurements of the problematic tweeter. ;)
  18. Agito

Agito

It's a "Le Son" tweeter, the size of it is around 2.4inch, small...
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

OK, can we assume you've Googled "LeSon piezo tweeter" and read the numerous web forum threads on subbing other ones for them?
  20. Agito

Agito