1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tweeter help for single 12" cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nate74, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

I got a Dr. Bass 112LF for dirt cheap a while back. The Celestion BN12-300S that is in it and wired full range sounds pretty good with my electric but is lacking a little high end clarity with my upright. I'd like to add a tweeter and crossover but have limited space on the cabinet's baffle. Anything larger than a 3" overall diameter won't fit, which rules out A LOT of the options I'm seeing. In fact, none of the "pro audio" tweeters on parts-express are small enough but I've found several in the "home audio" section that would work.

Any advice on which to use? What to look for?

Would this work?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=277-086

I'm thinking a crossover point of around 3.5kHz and an L-Pad?

Thanks in advance.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Remember also, anything you put inside the cab, will change the internal volume, and thus, the cab's tuning. I would guess at the least, you would lose some of the cab's low end extension.

3. Nate74

Nate74 Supporting Member

The tweeters I'm looking at maybe will be 1 or 2 in2 on the inside of the cab, so any effect they have on the cabs tuning will be negligible. My biggest worry is will such a small tweeter be audible in this setup.