1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Two A strings and G strings put on a 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sirplabassalot, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sirplabassalot

sirplabassalot

I just recently replaced my E string with a spare A string and replaced my D string with a spare G and the results are amazing! Chords are so much easier there's a stronger punch and tapping and fingering is easier.

Will definitely not go back.

Anyone else ever do this????

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

YOU SIR, HAVE ACHIEVED VISIONARY STATUS 1.0,...

<executing "Level-Up" protocol>

3. DannyBob

DannyBob

Hmm, might try this :)

4. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Going to try this if nothing else because I kill E strings left and right.
    Sound like a nice way to round out some 3/4 sets!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aledeville

aledeville

I once strung a bass with four D strings. Was really fun to play, but very confusing :eyebrow:

7. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I've been considering stringing my basses G string with a D string as I want it to have more punch and less twang.

8. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

so you are tuning EADG or AAGG ?

9. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

10. derekcbass

derekcbass Supporting Member

Les Claypool played 2 A's and 2 G's tuned EADG in the 90's. He liked the way it felt when chording. But he later decided that it was too unbalanced.

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Half way to an 'extra-light' gauge...

12. sirplabassalot

sirplabassalot

It's time for the nerdy talk with the strings, so be prepared.

Here's the weird thing. I have ribbon wound strings on the original A and G strings and rotosound swing bass (steel) strings on the others. With the rotosound A string being where the E is and the rotosound G being where the D string is supposed to be with the bass tuned in standard (4ths) EADG.
    So with the different types of strings on the bass I personally found that there's a really cool tone with chords played (anywhere on the fretboard) and because there's a different sound and feel from each string it doesn't feel unbalanced as stated above, well not yet. An important note is that the bass doesn't feel unbalanced to play but there's a tension change.
    And plus it's fun to play.

I first got the idea from Tony Levin ( I think he was the first to be known to do it) from being told about about him awhile back (ages ago) from an old drunk bass teacher. I was always a bit skeptical.... but I got bored and then boom a miracle happened and a new child was born.
    Plus the Les Claypool thing is true... he is truly a bass BEAST!
    To sum up the playing and everything, chords sound cooler, slap is quicker, tapping seems easier because of the thinner strings and the E string sounds sharper but you still have that lowness with it if you get me.

Try it out ! But try it with a spare bass if you have one first.
    ...................It's like leveling up :bassist:
    Hope this post answers all questions if not don't be afraid to send a message.

13. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

Last week I tried BEAD with Ernie Bal flatwounds, gauges 0.105, 0.080, 0.060 and 0.045. It worked surprisingly well. Because of lack of tension, relief and intonation had to be adjusted. Playability and tone were certainly worthwile. :hyper:

14. Precision101

Precision101

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387160606.598739.jpg so genius!!! Gotta try this

15. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

So I guess I'm not wierd then for keeping a fresh A string from a few years ago as a spare in case my E string breaks... First Act A string. Still sounds great. I just need to stop switching it out, or I'll never have a fresh spare string.

16. ixlramp

ixlramp

Try tuning AAGG and double up the notes, the sound will blow your mind, even better than an octave-coursed 8 string bass.