Two basses one amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kenmeg, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kenmeg

kenmeg

G'day all

Just double checking, I have a passive P bass and an active Jazz. My amp has a passive and active input, would it be OK to leave both basses plugged in ? Obviously using only one bass at a time.

Cheers Ken.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Sure. I'd turn the volume off of the one not being used.

3. kenmeg

kenmeg

Cheers for the quick reply, thats exactly what I thought.

Ken.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it would be OK, but it's very unwieldy to do that. You'll find yourself needing to make adjustments on the amp to compensate for the drastic volume and tone differences. Most of us who need to switch between two different basses will usually use something like the Radial Bassbone or some sort of switching system with an EQ on one of the basses to compensate for volume and tonal differences.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

I use a passive resistance mixer by DOD, I think it cost 20 bucks in 1997. It has 4 inputs, one output to the amp, and lets me control the volume of up four basses to my amp. Simple and bulletproof. Two great qualities for the working bassist.

7. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I would think it would depend on the particular amp. A lot of amps have similarly labeled ins and outs but are actually wired differently, for example my SWR heads effects return doubles as a power amp in, but that's not the case with most amps.

My recommendation is to just buy a cheap pedal that allows you to hook up both basses to the same input. I started off with a morley ABY, then later got a boss LS2 which added the ability to control levels. Lately I use a pod HD for effects and I have separate patches setup for different basses. You can use an ABY if you also have a boost pedal that way you can boost the output of one bass to match them up. The reason I like to use pedals instead of turning the volume(s) off on the basses is on certain basses I don't run my volume all the way up. for example my fretless jazz has 2 volumes and the neck pickup is always rolled back some, On my warwick Thumb I liked to roll back the volume a little to get a more woody tone.

8. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

If your amp works with both basses plugged in at the same time, I recommend using a cheap tuner pedal on each of them. That way you can mute the bass you aren't using.

9. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

2 in 1 reminds me of an old clip of BB King and T Bone Walker playing the same amp live-curly cords and all.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    If you aredping this live, the Radial Bassbone - which is admittedly not cheap, is a fantasitic tool. Mine goes to every gig I do...