1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Two cabs, same speaker, coincidence?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Spent, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I've been playing bass for over 25 years, so I like to think I kind of know what I'm doing. I am baffled at this one. Last year I had a speaker tear in my Harke 410XL. I liked the cabinet, it served me well, so I fixed it and bought a Hartke HyDrive 410. Saturday The same exact thing happened to the same exact speaker (location) in the Hydrive. I'm using a SansAmp RBI into a Crown XLS1000. I run the Crown wide open, cause it's an amp, and the SansAmp at about 11:00 with everything flat and no distortion or presence, blend at about 60% or more. I sometimes use my ancient Avatar 212 neo with the same amp. In fact, the Avatar has seen more gig time than both Hartkes combined. We can actually talk above our stage volume, we have a large pa and everything goes through it. I also use a Wampler Ego Compressor and a Micro Thumpinator. We are not a loud band, which actually gets us a lot of gigs, but that's another topic. Thoughts?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Cue dramatic denouement music.

It sounds like you shouldn't be breaking any speakers.

I blame your EQ, or your 5 string, or your cloth ears, or your guitar player....

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

coincidence, or something entirely outside the playing, like the way you pack the gear in the van or something.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Concidence or a design flaw.

I'd call Larry Hartke and tell him what happened. He'd want to discuss this with you. He hasn't logged in here since last November so a PM might not get you an answer.

7. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I don't like coincidences, but it does seem to be the case. The 410XL I fixed last year is still going strong. I treat my equipment very well, like I stated, nothing has happened to the Avatar. I burned a voice coil on a Peavey Black Widow about twenty years ago, but that's the only speaker failure I've ever had.

8. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I called Samson and, while the cab is still under warranty, and I can just send them just the bad speaker, it'll take "several" weeks for turn around. That seems a bit long to me since I already talked to tech support and established that the speaker is indeed bad. Musician's Friend will replace the speaker, but I have to send the entire cabinet to them and it will take a few weeks. So I decided to call Larry, what the heck. Turns out, that's not his number. A very nice young lady answered and said she has no idea who he is (I explained that he's famous) but it's no longer his number. I did find his number and he said he would look into this. What a great guy!

9. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The universe could be trying to send you a message.

Maybe you are driving things a bit too hard?

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Any possibility you're inadvertently sending a lot of power in the sub range (like, below 35 Hz) to the cabs? Asking too much excursion of them, IOW?

You mentioned running the power amp wide open; made me think of that possibility.

If you happen to have a high pass filter on hand (like the Thumpinator or Fdeck's HPF), they're designed to prevent that.

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Sorry for the wrong number. That poor girl must get a lot of calls since the old number was well publicized. Yes, Larry loves talking shop and helps make things happen.

12. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I do use a Micro Thumpinator, have for years. The amp puts out 700 watts and while I do run it full on, the pre is run at about 1/3.

13. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

She didn't seem to care, nice girl. Larry was awesome, helped me out. Stuart Spector was the same way, it's great to deal with someone who genuinely cares about their brand. Larry couldn’t care less what happened, all he cared about was that I get the cabinet up and running again. I’ve got 4 Hartke products (2 cabs, one combo and a Bass Attack) and love them all. Larry and Stuart have earned my respect and loyalty.