1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Two combo connection

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tgriley62, Jan 17, 2014.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

I am getting another Peavey Max112II for a great price and I already have one that I got two years ago. I would like to know if they can be connected using the male XLR out on the top amp into one of the two 1/4 instrument inputs on the bottom amp. The manual states that the XLR is a "balanced Direct Interface that sends a buffered, unprocessed signal to an external mixer". I found a female XLR to 1/4 cable on line but, I do not know anything about "balanced, unbalanced and buffered" type connections

Thanks

2. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    You will need to fiddle with the volume to get both amps to have the same volume.. but that will work and should not cause any damage. The DI out is very low level and won't damage the input of the second amp..

I know you said DI out into the instrument input of a second combo.... but just want to reiterate.. NEVER plug the speaker output from an amp into the instrument input of a second amp... but DI should be just fine.

3. tgriley62

tgriley62

Thanks. These amps don't have external speaker jacks so I don't have to worry about that

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

A couple weeks ago I wanted to use both of my combos. So, I bought an XLR to 1/4" cable. I made the mistake of ordering an XLR to 1/4" stereo cable. There was so much hiss when I linked my amps that the cable was useless.

I have 2 multi-effects pedals, a Digitech BP90 and Zoom B3. Both pedals have stereo 1/4" outputs. Tonight, I ran both of my combos using my B3. It worked great. Unless both amps are identical, you will DEFINITELY need to tweak the volume and clean/vanilla sound of each amp so that they match.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to using a splitter or stereo fx pedal. Run the amps together, not IN to one another.

8. tgriley62

tgriley62

Thanks. I have a cheap stereo chorus pedal I can use I was just wondering if using the XLR could be another option