Two distortions at once?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndrewM, Dec 30, 2013.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

I'll start this off by saying I have never been very into effects until recently, so please don't chew me out if this is a dumb/obvious question.

So I have a Boss ODB-3, and despite the less-than-favorable reputation that this pedal seems to have around TB, I like it quite a bit. However, it seems to be somewhat of a one-trick pony. By this, I mean that despite having a blend knob, it's difficult to get just a little bit of grit in your tone. It's either full-on distortion or nothing.

I really like the sound of a bass with just a little bit of grind in the tone, but I still would like to have the option of the heavily distorted tone that the ODB-3 gives. I was considering adding a different distortion/overdrive pedal (was thinking maybe a Turbo Rat?) to use as a sort of "always on" effect to give my tone just a little bit of grit and grind, and then being able to switch on the ODB-3 when I'm in need of something more drastic.

Does this sound like a solid plan, or is there something that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Yes, that practice is very common. I doubt a Turbo Rat would allow enough bass through for your purposes, based upon your comments on the ODB-3, but otherwise the theory is sound.

Edit: FYI, I don't use an "always on" distortion most of the time, but I have played a song or two where I kept a lighter overdrive on (Barber Gain Changer) most of the song and then kicked on a heavier pedal (Fuzzrocious Demon) at key moments, and it works great.
  3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI as an always on pedal and have the drive at 1 o'clock to give me always present "bite" and "hair". I use another overdrive pedal to push it into more drastic territory. That pedal is always changing, though. I've used a Bass Big Muff Pi, Digitech Bass Driver, Boss ODB-3, DOD Bass Overdrive, EHX Bass Blogger. As you can see by my choice of pedals, I use the cheaper end of the spectrum. Preferably used and under $60.

Rat pedals seem to totally suck all of the low end from the bass, but I see that a lot of people like them.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

5. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I run an always on overdrive. Just a hint of breakup. Then I stack a distortion and a fuzz on top.

I use a Fuzzrocious Dark Driving as the always on.

As far as the Rat thing goes, the older ones sound better to my ear. They can drop bottom end but they do sound nice and grindy.
  6. kzr750r1

kzr750r1 Supporting Member

Curious about combos folks are trying with a SansAmp Bass Driver DI as an always on pedal.

I can get some good tones out of that for slight overdrive. But want more fuzz and possibly more than one for different flavor.

Been using the Korg ax1b lately, not cutting it. Nore do I trust it to last.

Time to start coining up and build a new board.
  7. AndrewM

AndrewM

I almost went with a BDDI but I ended up with a VT Bass DI instead. After having tried both, I settled on the VT as it seemed to beef up the tone more than the BDDI. However, I have trouble getting a nice grit out of the VT. It seems to sound very fuzzy moreso than anything.
  8. AndrewM

AndrewM

Could you possibly suggest a simple (and hopeful affordable) method of doing this? The link you provided has helped me get an idea of what to do, but a little bit more explanation would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
  9. Granddesign

Granddesign Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Pedals
    on my rig I have BASS > 4 way splitter > 1 channel runs direct / 2 channel > Bass OD, Mini POG, Flanger, Bass Chorus, TC Hall of Fame Reverb / 3 channel > Malekko B:ASSMASTER, Wounded paw Attack Goat/ 4 Channel > Fuzz, Malekko Chorus, Malekko, Spring reverb, Malekko 616 Delay all of that gets remixed to a 4 channel mixer to a Malekko, Malekko compressor > Volume pedal > AMP

So I use 1 OD and 3 fuzz pedals, 2 chorus, 2 delay and some others. SO 2 ODs arent out the ordinary.
  10. Granddesign

Granddesign Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Pedals
  11. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I recommend a Joyo Ultimate Drive. New for $30 on Amazon. No blend, but it nails light OD like crazy. It's a Fulltone OCD clone, but retains bass better. Love mine, and at that price it's worth a shot.
  12. AndrewM

AndrewM

Would I be able to use a Boss LS-2 to mix two separate signals like Ric5 had previously mentioned?
  13. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Yes it has two two adjustable loops that you can mix the pedals with and send thru a single output. Also has a power output if you want to power more pedals.