1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Two Eminence Legend CA154s - What Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gimp, Dec 10, 2013.

1. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

I have two Eminence Legend CA154s and I'd like to optimize them. I have a schematic that allows me to run them seperately at 4ohms or together at 8, which meets my purposes. What I'd like to know is what cab best suits these drivers?

- prefab/existing cab or home build?
    - sealed or ported?

Weight doesn't worry me, but a smaller form factor would be nice. Any ideas or recommendations? Currently they are in a shallow Peavey 2x15, but I'd like to see if I could do better.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

See Eminence for recommended tunings. There is a pdf of proven designs for each driver they make.
  3. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

I should have clarified. I've read the PDF, but I was looking for some opinions on design and hoping to crowd source some experience for any existing solutions before I custom build.
  4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I don't know of any prefabricated empty 215 bass cab enclosures, but you might contact Leland Crooks of SpeakerHardware.com. He does a wide variety of flat-packs, and may have something in an enclosure kit that would work for you.

If you decide to just build your own, I'd suggest about 2.3 cubic feet (net of driver, ports & bracing) per driver. If you're going to possibly drive them separately, put them in separate internal chambers, tuned to about 48 Hz. Imo this will give you a good balance of low-B and fartout resistance. But this is just one of many, many points along an continuum... it's not necessarily an "ideal" design.
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Wanna bet OP is a 4 banger exclusive?

Proven designs available. Free expert advice on tap from pro cab builders, check.

What's left? A whole mess of flying blind.
  6. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Thanks, this is very helpful. A flat-pack would be ideal. I'll look into SpeakerHardware.com.

Two your first point, my current need is for a four string, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner. As far as everything else, I don't follow.
  7. 45acp

45acp

8. gimp

gimp Supporting Member

Awesome! Thank you for the link. I'll give it a read.
  9. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks

Disclosures:
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    I didn't have exactly. Ballpark probably. Most of my cabs are designed around PA drivers rather than dedicated bass guitar drivers.