Two-For-One Trade? Modulus VJ & Fender P

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Greyfin10, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

I've recently fallen into the iniquity of Five Strings, and I need to trade my beloved 4 stringers for a back-up fiver. Given the dearth of trades in the direction I'm looking for, I've decided to try and create my own inertia. How about your quality five string in trade for a Modulus VJ (passive Sunburst) and a US Precision with a Moses Jazz neck? What I really want is a second Modulus FB5, but since that's very specific, I'd be willing to entertain alternatives. The specifics:

1) Modulus Vintage Jazz 3 Tone Sunburst, Passive with Bartolinis (10lbs) - Don't know what to say about it other than it's the nicest four string I've ever played. However, I've already realized that switching back and forth from 4 to 5 leads to problems. Besides, I do need a second 5 string for backup purposes. Schaller straplocks and original hardshell case included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) U.S. Fender w/ Moses Jazz neck, Black with black pearl PG. Neck and all original hw included. - A wonderful playing instrument, this was worth more to me as a player than an investment. As such, I replaced the bridge with a Hipshot A bridge, the tuners with Hipshot tuners, and the pickup with a Lindy Fralin Pickup. The original rosewood neck, hardware, pickups, and (white) pickguard will be part of the deal in case you want to reverse the process. "The Process" involved filling in the through-body ferrules, since the A bridge had to be moved a bit further south than the standard bridge, but of course they could be drilled out again. I don't want to make this sound like a frankenstein job, but since I mention reversing the process, I felt full disclosure was necessary. The pictures will tell the whole story. Currently strung with Thomastik Infelds (and with some Black Beauties in the compartment that, while they looked KILLER didn't have the sound I wanted. They are essentially unplayed. Schaller straplocks and original hardshell case included.

Edit: It just occurred to me the pickup that was on this when I got it wasn't the original, but an SD SPB-2. Was looking back at the original trade and realized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And again, my main goal here is to turn these into a five string. Thank you for looking... let's make a deal!
  2. searchfunction

searchfunction Supporting Member

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

That Moses neck used to be mine. Very cool! Bump!
  4. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Just remembered that the Modulus also has a Hipshot detuner installed.

I personally find them useful, but if you would prefer the original, it will be included as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmickeyd

Bassmickeyd

With a D-tuner you're only 3-notes away from a 5-string. .... So, why not drop the D to a C on the Modulus and live with that? ........ Just wondering.
  7. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Well, I can only speak for myself of course, I don't pretend to be an expert on anything bass-related...

I've been a big believer in the Hipshots in the past, and they do work well. But what I found when I finally found a five string that spoke to me, was that it was better to have my extended range "in one place only". What I mean is, when you use a detuner, the "E" string becomes a "D" string (of course, that's the point). But when I sing and play, I sort of go on autopilot, and I found that occasionally I forgot this factoid (leading to missed notes). Doh!

As an added benefit, a surprisingly large number of songs I play (maybe 20%) got MUCH easier to play, since I can sit at the fifth fret, and stop dancing around the fret board so much. So... that's my story, and I'm sticking to it for now. I reserve the right to change my mind in the future. And thank you for giving me a legitimate reason to bump my own thread ;)

Oh, and I am keeping it in the Modulus family... the main five string (the one that won me over) is the Funk Unlimited (Flea Bass) 5. Same great neck... with the added benefit of the MM style pickup. On top of all the other benefits, I sit in the mix better now too.
  8. fourfinger

fourfinger

9. PatO

PatO Supporting Member

did you have to make adjustments to the hipshot d tuner? I couldn't get one to fit through the headstock properly on my VJ4.
  10. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Aye, it works fine, but suspect I had the same issue you had. Here's the thread where it was discussed:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/hipshot-gb-7-modulus-vj-does-look-wrong-you-606896/

And the response I got from Hipshot when I wrote them about it:

No, your Xtender is correct. The tuner on this Xtender is made by Gotoh and we convert them to Xtenders. Due to this reason they appear shorter due to this conversion but this should not effect the performance. We do offer a service to extend or lengthen the string post that we charge an addition $35.00 plus shipping. This would require you to send us the Xtender, turn around is usually one or two days.
    Just let us know if this is something you are interested in. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I didn't get the extension, not so much for the cost, which was well worth it, but because I'm impatient and wanted it immediately. Since then, to be honest, I've not noticed it (until you asked) nor has anyone else. No, that's not strictly true, every time I restring it, I cut the string a little shorter than I otherwise would. Anyway... that's THAT story!
  11. PatO

PatO Supporting Member

Thanks for that info. I was hoping that you had hipshot make the changes so that I could just buy that piece from you. I contacted them and got the same form response in return, but am also too lazy to send it in.

Good luck with your sale/trade. These VJ basses are the nicest jazz bass clones I've ever played.
  12. justjake

justjake

13. match

match Supporting Member

PM sent.
  14. justjake

justjake

get my p.m. from a couple of days ago ?
  15. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Yes, and I responded! If you mean this is a follow up from the discussion we had previously, then send me a PM and we can continue that (i.e. the trade I thought I had working apparently fell through).
  16. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

That P is stunning.
  17. kharmakazee1

kharmakazee1

PM coming your way :)
  18. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Thanks, it was the image I had in my head when I started looking for a Precision. The naturally black neck/headstock made it all the easier :)
  19. norwaybro

norwaybro

20. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do - Ben Franklin
  21. 1steve34

1steve34

Disclosures:
    Marco Bass endorsing artist and player for Life

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.