Two GK Neo 112's or One Super 12/6?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Freekmagnet, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

I've been shopping around for a new gigging rig - mostly doing research at this point. I'm going to be playing in small to medium clubs and some outdoor gigs with PA support. I have a $700-$800 budget and I've kind of narrowed down the search for either a pair of GK Neo 112's or a Super 12/6 such as the Baer ML 112 or a fearFul kit.

My last cab was a Mesa 115 and that pretty much covered everything for me, but I'm looking for a smaller, lighter rig. As far as tone, I can pretty much dial in a sound I like with anything. I play a Jazz with flats and my favorite bass sound of all time is the tone on "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. I'm playing with a 7-piece old school R&B cover band that does some Latin stuff too. Bass, guitar, drums, horns and vox.

I've tried a few different 112's and 212's out in the shops around town and most of the 112's sound pretty good, although I could see that I'd be a little more comfortable using a pair of 'em. Not that I play super loud, but I hate not having enough power onstage. I haven't had access to a Baer or a fearFul to test drive, so my questions are these:

Would a Super 12/6 perform as well or better volume/low end/tone-wise than two Neo 112's?

Would the convenience and modularity of two workhorse cabs such as the GK Neo 112 trump the inherent awesomeness of a single Super 12/6?

Opinions?

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes, I think two G-K NEO112-II cabs will totally trump a 12/6.

DWBass likes this.
  3. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Interested a well.

4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Volume, the two 112 cabs will be louder. Not slam dunk louder, but louder.
    Low End, most super twelves will have more low end.
    Tone, that's very subjective.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I seriously doubt that 2 of the gK neo cabs will keep up with a fEarful 12.6. They certainly won't go as low. Not even close. A single 12.6 will get in the same ball park as a decent 4x10 volume wise while being smoother and having better phase and dispersion characteristics.

I built 2 12.6 cabs. I only ever fired both up on one gig. Large outdoor stage. I ended up disconnecting the bottom cab so I could hear the other instruments...

To me the decision is also about if you really want a rig that goes down to 40hz. The typical commercial bass cab doesn't at any appreciable volume. Lots more 2nd harmonic than fundamental. If you like that low mids bump, you have to dial it in with a fEarful. Of you like the fundamental, well there won't be much of that present in the GK cabs below about 60/70 hz or so...

It is worth noting that there isn't much of that lower octave present in the old Ampeg SVT Fridge either and of course that is a pretty highly regarded cab... So there is a definite matter of preference at play tonally.

7. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Agree that the 12" Eminence Neo woofer is positively stellar. I have the very same in my Fender Rumble 112 Neo cabs, and they are killer.

8. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I would think you would be able to find a super 12 around your area somewhere. I know at an upcoming TB GTG in Seattle there will be a TC112, a fEARful 12/6 and a few others. I have never played a GK 12 so I will not say whether or not two would be louder than my 12/6. I will say I've been very happy with my fEARfuls. (I also have 2 15/subs for PA subs) My 12/6 did surplant my SWR Goliath II. In an area as big as you're in hopefully you can find a super twelve to hear. You have Barefaced, Baer, Audiokenisis Thinderchilds, and Green boy designs that use them. All a little different, but you would get the idea. Maybe someone reading this thread will be near you. Good luck!

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I went from a epi UL112 stack to a 15/6 to a 12/6 +12sub rig.

I dug that ul112 stack and played it for over a year, but it didnt have the fullness I craved. The 15/6 was much more to my liking and even moreso the 12/6 stack.

The 12/6 will certainly go lower and sound better (imo) and will definitely be easier to move. It should handle any small/medium bar with a reasonable volume band.

Will a single 12/6 sound louder than a gk 112 stack? Hard to say. I think it would be close. From my understanding a 12/6 will achieve approx the same vol as a 310.

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Depending on your amp, you may not have a difference in volume between the two 12's and the 12/6. You will have different tonal pallets though. I prefer the fEARful, but others may not. The 12/6 will get brutally loud for a cab its size though.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am quite certain that is the 15/6 as the next step up from the 15/6 is the 1212/6 which is about the same as a 610. I am with :::BASSIST::: that a 12/6 should be in the ball park of a 310.

12. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic

13. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Someone offered to bring along a pair of the latest G-K neo 12 cabs to the Seattle GTG too.

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I thought that was what the volume knob was for...:D

Dan K.

Bassdirty likes this.
  15. azureblue

azureblue

GK MB212. 500 watts, 38 lbs and plenty loud. and available for $700. Used for about $575.

16. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

Ha-ha - I'm actually pretty far from Seattle. I'm out in a rural area of Southern California!

I appreciate everyone's replies on this post. It is helpful. Frankly, the only reason I'm not completely sold on a Super 12/6 is because I haven't been able to try one out myself. Hopefully, I will before it comes time to actually pull the trigger. I need some gear - all I have is a 200w combo that'll get me through the interim. I'm sort of emerging from retirement and thankfully I managed to land a gig that'll have a little bit of small, but steady pay.

17. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    Personally, I recommend not giving huge weight to anyone else's opinion than your own, especially if you're going to buy new. But there should be quite a few "informed opinions" after the Seattle GTG, at least. ;)

18. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

Yeah, I looked at one of those. It was awesome for the weight, size and price, but I'm not looking for that GK sound. They make great amps, but I have my eye on a TH500. I was just interested in the cabs because they're cheap, small, light and seem pretty decent for the price. I definitely don't dig the metal grille, but hey, you can't have it all.

19. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    The new neo Aguilar 112 cab sounded great to me on a friend's recent gig, FWIW. He was using a TH500 with it.

20. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

I agree with you completely. I really wish I could get some hands-on time with one of these Super 12/6 cabs out there before I make any kind of decision. I like the idea of just having one cab instead of two, but if that ain't gonna happen, then it ain't gonna happen. And, while I like the idea of building a Greenboy kit (I enjoy making stuff) and covering it with purple tolex or something, but at roughly $600 for what would amount to an experiment seems pretty impractical to me.

You may have my answer right there, Passinwind. I tried a TH500 with an Aggie neo 112 at Trutone Music the other day, and I loved it. I dialed in a pretty happening tone right away, but again, I could tell that I'd want two of those cabs before I felt comfortable hitting the stage with them. Those things are pretty pricey - in fact I'd say they're kinda overpriced new, but I see pairs of 'em used here in the classifieds every once and a while. And, I do have my old TL-606 in storage up in the Bay Area and I could use that until I find a pair of Aggie 112's...

21. Passinwind

Media:
    Albums:
    FWIW, I've owned many TL606 cabs, and still play through a Mesa version pretty often at my neighbor's house. I can say with great certainty that a fEARful 12/6 or a Thunderchild 112 driven with enough power can easily hang with a single 606 in my personal playing situations. The whole vibe is quite a bit different though, which takes us back to 'try it yourself', eh?