1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Two-handed tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Temezki, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Temezki

Temezki

Hi. I've been practicing two-handed tapping. I want your opinion on my skills. I asked my brother/guitarist how I sound when i tap and he said it sounds horrible. Tips and tricks are welcome
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  2. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Funny-I can tap on guitar (I play 8 string guitar too) all day without braking a sweat-bass tapping requires more strength and skill-keep practicing and you will get better.

Funny thing about bass tapping-in the beginning you think too much and make mistakes but the more you train your mind and hands-then one day it will just come to you and it will be awesome.
  3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

It sounds better than mine.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Check out youtube videos by Grant Stinnett for tapping lessons.
  5. Temezki

Temezki

Good to hear it's not that horrible. The clank coming from the frets just drives me crazy.
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

well it sounds like your actions is way to high and require too much strengh to make a sound, a lot of ringing sound too
  7. ddhm

ddhm Supporting Member

I suggest practicing... lots of it. Tapping or "touch style" takes a lot of work. I'd pay particular attention to evenness of volume between fingers. You might do well looking into some of the Chapman Stick videos or something else that is designed to tap on (Warr, Megatuar, Krappyguitar, Bunker, Adg, ect). Unlike in the guitar and bass world, tapping is not a novelty in the Chapman stick world... it is the way it's done.

If you plan on doing a lot of tapping, I'd suggest setting up a bass for it. A VERY flat neck, low action, good fret job, fairly high pick ups and perhaps a hair tie to use as a mute.

Best of luck and happy tapping,
    Dan
  8. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

that would sound awesome with a delay pedal as it is
  9. Technical6Str

Technical6Str

Here's a little something in the 2 handed tapping department for ya. I can tab it out of you if you like. Very simple technique, surprisingly!

Cheers.
  10. Temezki

Temezki

Nice. Maybe too hard for me because of the speed and technique.
    On the other hand I don't have a job at the moment so I have huge amount of time to put into bass playing.
  11. Technical6Str

Technical6Str

Hey. Here's the tabs for the first section. You'll notice right away it's a lot of the same notes. Your left hand doesn't move at all, and only hits 2 notes (notes 2 and 3 in the triplet) in the same pattern every time.

You only need to move your left hand, to tap out the melody line, and it's really very simple, once you familiarize each hand with each part.
    Basically, I use my second and first fingers on my right hand to tap the B and Gb (repeated 9's on D then A string) on the 2 and 3 of the triplets. On the 1 count, I start with my index finger on the B (E string), then pinkie on the 9(C str.), middle finger on the 7, index finger on the 6, pinkie on the 9 (G str.), and just continue the pattern like a major scale pattern.

Hope this helps a bit. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask, I'd be happy to help out. We all learn from someone, and knowledge is to be shared, not hoarded.

Cheers :bassist:
  12. spade2you

spade2you

I hear this as well. Lots of guys say that it's NOT the bass. To a "certain" extent, a given bass can make tapping easier or harder.

Lower action and EQing to taste should help.