Two of my knobs are flaky

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Llaslo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Llaslo

Llaslo

Hello, I'm fairly new to the bass world and just learning, but I've a Schecter Stiletto Custom-4. It has the Emg Hz passive pickups. Two of the knobs are very flaky on it, and I've heard lots of negative comments on those pickups. I'm looking to replace the electronics on it with something that will be better. Any advice would be great. Mostly playing classic rock and some metal.

2. llldino

llldino

When you say knob, do you mean the actual plastic piece, the potentiometer, or the sound of turning them? And what do you mean by "flaky"?

3. Llaslo

Llaslo

the four potentiometers. What i mean by flaky is that they cut in and out as you turn them and sometimes create tons of static when adjusting them.

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Okay ... :smug:

1. Don't give too much about what other people say/write ... :D
    2. Good pots (CTS etc.) cost a few dollars ...
    3. Have you tried several afjustment tries?
    4. Are you sure you have the right strings?
    5. Humans tease others when they are unsatisfied with themselves - and basses can't defend. Grass is always greener on the other side ...

Before you change the PUs, change the pots. Ask yourself what YOU don't like on the sound. Is it because of the bass, the PUs or are you the problem?

I think most people are only satisfied with new PUs because they are new (and give new motivation).

After all this ...
    Best wishes!
    Andreas

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. llldino

llldino

Jeez, that's no good. I'm not sure what the quality of Schecter is like, try opening her up and looking at the connections. It sounds like there might be a couple of bad grounds or something.

7. Llaslo

Llaslo

Well, to be honest, spending the money doesn't really bother me; however, if it's unnecessary, then I'm not wanting to do it. I have actually been perfectly happy with the sound of the pickups. I just figured if I were going to go in there and do this, maybe I should use it as a reason to upgrade. Sounds like that might not be necessary. As for the pots though, I really think at least two of them need to be replaced.

8. Crater

Crater

Those are the CLASSIC, unmistakable symptoms of worn-out pots! It's very unlikely to be anything else, if your description is accurate. They need to be replaced, there's no way around it.

There is no audible difference between pots of the same value (in ohms) - but better (more expensive) pots are likely to last longer.

If you're happy with the sound of your existing pickups then there's no need to change those, save your money.

9. Llaslo

Llaslo

Oh also, i don't think it's me. I mean. When I'm not touching the pot, it doesn't create noise or static. Just when turning it (while not touching the strings).

10. Batmensch

Batmensch

Need new pots, definitely.

11. Llaslo

Llaslo

How can I tell what pots I need to buy for it? I'm pretty decent at soldering, so I can do this myself, I feel confident, I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Pots and pickups are two separate things. Pots should run under $10 each....more than likely about half that.

If you can find specs on the original pots, you just need to know whether they are standard size or small, and what their impedance is - usually either 250K ohms or 500K ohms.

13. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse