Two overdrives in one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lemon Of Troy, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

Does such a thing exist?

I use two overdrives, actually an overdrive and a distortion. The overdrive is my main dirt tone, but sometimes I'll kick the distortion pedal on which runs into the overdrive pedal and gives a heavier, scooped sound. I rarely use it, but I like it and that distortion pedal is taking up valuable space on my board.

Is there a pedal that has two dirts, or like a cascading overdrive where you could go 'full' or 'half' overdrive, if you catch my drift?
  2. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    There are a few.

I love my Fulltone BassDrive which has a boost which does a similar effect of increasing overdrive levels when activated. I believe that the Hematoma has a similar feature set.

The Empress Multidrive has three different gain stages that it can use.

Wounded Paw has the Battering Ram which is an OD and a fuzz.

Wren and Cuff did at least one custom job of combining a Phat Phuk with a Pickle Pie B.

Plus lots of others that I've overlooked that helpful people below will list...
  4. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

I guess I should have mentioned...if the pedal is larger than two normal pedals, it defeats the whole purpose :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Not completely. It is one less patch cable and power connection.
  7. 5656130

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    None listed so far have been larger than two normal pedals, especially if you consider the additional space taken up with cable connections and power supply leads. Most are going to be slightly larger than a single standard pedal, however.:)
  9. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

xoB ytsuR | Rusty Box
  10. debris

debris

There's one called The Chimera made locally by Richard Flickinger in Raleigh, NC.
    It's got a clean boost ("clean") and an overdrive ("mean") on the same pedal, triggered in sequence.

Not sure how it would fare on bass...I haven't had the chance to try one out.

http://www.flicktonebox.com/chimera.html
  11. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

+1 on the Fulltone bass drive. My favorite version is the one with the push pull knob (pre-mosfet). The HBE Hematoma is really terrific and can be purchased for a bargain.
    The T-Rex Bass Juice is very nice as well. This is the only pedal of the 3 to have a blend if this feature appeals to you.

I own these 3 pedals.
  12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

fuzzrocious demon king, fuzzrocious rat king, pigtronix disnortion...
  13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Barber Electronics Burn Unit
    http://www.barberelectronics.com/burnunit.html

I got to try out some of their pedals a couple of weeks ago for a minute or two. I was pleasantly surprised with the tones that I was getting from this one. It covered the low to medium gain drive I get with my Distortron and went into some similar fuzz territory that I get with my Sublime. It definitely seemed to cover two territories for the price of one.
  14. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

15. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv Supporting Member

OKKO Basstard. Expensive but the demos have me gasing for one.
  16. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    Home Brew Electronics Hematoma for Bass.........it has a boost feature seperate from an overdrive that will add just a touch of hair to your tone to a huge amount of gain!
  17. Crater

Crater

Visual Sound pedals makes a few "two-in-one" type pedals, including and overdrive and distortion, an overdrive and compressor, and a double pedal with 2 tubescreamer-type overdrives. They're supposed to be very well made pedals.

http://visualsound.net/double-trouble/
  18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 for the TRex Bass Juice. It's bass distortion, with a clean boost. When the boost is engaged, it gets into fuzz territory. The clean blend knob is more than useful, too. Awesome tone on this one.
  19. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13

I've got the Fulltone Bass-Drive mosfet & I dig it a lot, I use the boost as a 2nd drive... but, it's not really 2 overdrives in one. I'd get in touch with Visual Sound as they are top notch in customer service, ask them about low-end retention -- I'm sure they'd be happy to help you find the right pedal.
  20. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

The Swell lines of Bass OD/Distortion have two gain settings, not quite the same as cascading ODs or boost/OD, but still 2 good sounds available in one pedal
  21. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

It really is amazing.