1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Two preamps.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bowe100, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Bowe100

Bowe100

I've been thinking of ways of improving my sound, and I'm wondering if there's any issues I've failed to think of with what I have in mind.

at the moment im using a GK 1001rb head, and love the sound, but I also use quite a few effects, distortion, overdrive, phaser, flanger, chorus etc, and I'm always worried about the low end going missing while using them.

so I was thinking of picking up another preamp and some sort of splitter/blender, and splitting the signal into two chains, one all the effects and the GK preamp set for all the articulation, and other just into the other preamp just set to provide the lows, then mix the two signals again into the GK power section.

anyone done similar things or am I just not seeing why it wouldn't work?

2. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

I guess it depends on the effects you're using - do they have a 'blend' feature?

If not, a signal splitter loop might do the trick.

3. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I do this
    I have my main sound from the bass and a WahWah into the ART PC II. In parallel I have a couple of effects like bass-balls, fuzz, octaver, auto-wah.
    In the picture you see a 1unit rack mixer. The main channel from the ART pre-amp is going into this, and the effects channel is goiing into a second channel of the mixer. The output is sent to the power-amp.
    Works like a charm - I especially dig the combination of the dry sound with a bit of the bass balls.
    The channel mixer/splitter also provides direct outputs so the FOH can plug into that directly. I haven't quite figured out if that's the most charming way to go but it saves me a two-channel DI for now.

[​IMG]

4. Chapbass

Chapbass

Bluhhhhh you have pretty much the exact rig im going for....I'm just....almost everything short :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bowe100

Bowe100

what are you using to split the signal?

7. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    BigMuff has a dry and an effect output which make it a splitter in some sort of way

8. MSGNoff

MSGNoff 1SG Supporting Member

VB,

This is a continuation of sort from the Greenboy forum.......not certain I understand how to get the blended signal back to my cabinet used basically as a stage monitor? Hope this makes sense.

Meaning; bass - Bigshot ABY switcher - one signal to a Sansamp Paradriver then to the bass amp, bass amp DI to board. The other (dry) signal straight from the ABY to the board. Bottom line, 2 parallel signals to FOH.

Now, how to get that blended signal to my cabinet (hopefully a 12/6 very soon)? Furthermore, how do I control the volume of the blended signal out of the cabinet on stage?

Obviously I'm a little confused.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    I do a similar thing to split my signal but I use a MicroPOG to do that. The dry out of the MPOG goes to a tc electronic MOJOMOJO, then the effects outs of the MPOG and MOJOMOJO go to a ProD2 DI and out to wherever it needs to go (lately, a Marantz PMD661).

10. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    You have a one channel amp, I guess. So in one or another way you have to combine/mix both signals into one signal and feed that into your amp.
    I use a behringer ultralink for that, but you have blend pedals as well that can adjust the signal input and output gain.
    If you remain confused, keep asking ;-)

11. disssa

disssa