Two questions......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Oct 31, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    1. Is there any other way to run a pedal at 18v, if it's designed to of course, than a power supply such as the pedal power line? I'm just gonna throw it out there so I know for sure, if I run the pedal on a battery and then use a 1spot to power it as well, is that running it at 18v??

2. I have an EQD hummingbird. I've always known this pedal to be somewhat noisy but all the sudden it's wizzing. Like to the point where I can't use it. I just redid my board and I'm powering it in a line with one 1spot that has an 8 daisy chain running the following:
    Hummingbird>DOD digital delay>hardwire DL8 delay>boss BF3>IE sub t>6 channel looper.

I don't think I had that many hooked up to the same daisy before. Do y'all think it's because I have all those digital pedals on one daisy chain it's suddenly starting to squeal? Like I'm tryin to run too much off of one 1spot??

Thanks to anyone who can add suggestions and or input to help me.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    if you run a pedal with a 1spot and a battery at the same time, it is not running at 18V. and many pedals have a switch in the DC jack that disconnects the battery when using an external power supply, but even if it doesn't switch the battery off, it's still running at 9V since the power supply and the battery would be running in parallel.

3. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

That's what I thought, thanks john. I had to ask though. Wasn't completely sure. Now I am.

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

If you are using a boxed power supply like a Pedal Power (not a OneSpot), then I believe there are "voltage doubling" cables that exist, where you can connect two 9V outlets and get 18V. There is also this:

http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/godlyke-power-all-accessories/iso-pump-voltage-converter

which I think you can use off of one of your OneSpot's daisy chain spots.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

Cool. Thanks did that! That's exactly what I was looking for, the link you provided. I'm not a huge van of the pedal powers just cause they cost so much. 1spots are the way I go so this little converter is the way to go for me, thanks!

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I had noise from a new aquisition. That was a ground incompatibility. I switched pedals rather than invest in a huge isolated power supply.

Dunlop brick gives 18v and 9v but it's not isolated so probably wouldn't sort you out.

8. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

The dc brick has 2 18v spots or an iso 5.

9. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

I don't want to stray away from the way I'm powering now. In other words, I don't want to spend $100 to $200 to do this. I want to try and make it happen with what I have.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I don't recommend the DC Brick. It's a one spot in a box. Not good for digital pedals, and not enough mA for the number of outputs it has.

11. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

There is a new brick with twice the ma available. Works well
    I use it to power my tuner, loop masters and such. No issues at all

12. alec

alec

Some pedals just don't like sharing power with others. Take one out of the chain at a time to test.
    You could be trying to draw more current than the 1Spot provides, but those things put out like a good time girl.

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I appreciate your sentiment. Pesky electrons leaking here and there may not. 18V may fix it, but the fact of the new pedal made me think of when that happened to me. Best of luck.

14. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe this will help answer the question, I ended up only putting 4 pedals on the 8 daisy for the 1spot. EQD hummingbird, bass drive, DOD delay and hardwire delay. I am still getting the wasting noise but it's only when the boost and or both the boost and OD on tbe bass drive are turned up past 2 o'clock. What is up with this?? It's gotta be the bass drive is sucking more power. But I read that it only sucks about 8 milliamps out of the power supply. Does that sound right?

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    that doesn't sound right to me. it might just be that those pedals don't play well with each other. a 1spot should have more than enough power to run up to 6 average pedals at a time, but delays can draw a lot of current.

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I measured a bunch of my pedals last night. Delay was 200mA! The rest were around 5mA, I used the method set out by the stinkfoot site with external battery clip.

Almost undoubtedly the new addition is reacting with one or more of the old. Do as suggested and unplug stuff until the noise goes.

17. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    How did you measure their milliamps?

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Multimeter, battery aux supply clipped to one battery terminal only, meter in Ammeter mode to complete the circuit. Read all about it at stinkfoot site. If pedal has own battery clip you can do it there.

19. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. I need a multimeter and was planning on grabbing one.

20. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh, and, "stinkfoot site"? What's that?

21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Google stinkfoot, pedal power, Andreas has a whole section on power consumption with a building database.