Two soundposts?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by hdiddy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

The thread about the Blast Cult 145 basses got me thinking...

If that's all that's needed to reduce feedback when playing at stupid volumes, can't you just insert a 2nd soundpost into any bass and create a sort of impedence? Something I could simply remove when I didn't need it anymore and you could use a nice fancy bass without having to buy a second one?

It wouldn't cost much to have a luthier make a new one and it's something that is reversible. Prob works better than stuffing foam in the F-holes.

Thoughts? It also makes me think that there could be some weird issues with the distribution of pressure between two sound posts but maybe it's not that big of a deal.
  2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    It should work. I've done that with arch top guitars (installed a sound post) to raise the resonant frequency and its been beneficial in that context.

It would be tricky with a delicate carved bass in that there wouldn't be a thicker spot or sound post patch on the other side - and the bass bar is going to be a bit of a problem...
  3. hdiddy

Couldn't you just stick the soundpost somewhere nearby without coming into contact with the bassbar. I mean, you're already doing something unorthodox - would it really matter that much?

I suppose you could make a lighter soundpost - one that wouldn't hold as much tension and it's job would be to dampen the bass. I'm not a luthier so I know I'm talking out of my ass but wth. TBDB has seen worse. :bag:
  4. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I've contemplated that myself, but not for feedback issues. My 1930's Pfretzchner had its top off about five years ago after a bridge crash caused a big crack. There was a huge cross brace under the tailpiece on the typically sunken E-side, which came off in the repairman's hands. Instead of gluing it back on, he made two elaborate long s-shaped cleats to shore up that part of the top. When finished, I found the bass to have more bottom, but at the expense of articulation under the bow in the lower range. I've considered experimenting with a very thin second SP in that spot to tighten things up a bit. Haven't done it yet, but it would be way cheaper than removing the top again, and fully reversible. Since this part of the top is quite fragile and already quite damaged, I would set it directly under one of the snake cleats. Jake, do you think this would work?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

You'd want to place the second soundpost outside of the vertical line of the bass bar and roughly on the horizontal line of the original soundpost.

I know guys who play (plywood) basses set up this way at ridiculous volume who are able to stand in front of their cranked amps with their hands off of the strings and not get a peep of feedback.
  7. harmonicon

harmonicon

I've heard of this too, but never (to my knowledge) seen it in person. I don't have the link at hand, but I know there's a guy who makes basses especially suited for blue grass, and they have two sound posts.
  8. Jake deVilliers

Disclosures:
    Well, it might, but it would be very difficult to install in that area of the top. It would be really tricky to make it the right size and get it properly installed. Let us know how it works if you try it! ;)

Have you tried moving the sound post in and up towards the bridge or is it in the same place it was before?
  9. Jake deVilliers

Disclosures:
    I didn't mean that the sound post should be under the bar but that it would be tricky to fit and position with the bar in the way.

Much, MUCH worse! :D
  10. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Luke Medley. He died late last year after a nasty stroke.
  11. RSBBass

RSBBass

For something you were going to take in and out, would it be possible to make something that had pads on the ends and a turnbuckle to snug it in place? That is providing you could get your fingers in to turn the turnbuckle.
  12. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

I play with an often loud and rowdy band, so I understand the curiosity....

This is another one of the times when I'm extremely happy that I have that access door in my C bout. The idea of a second soundpost down near the tailpiece sounds like a frustrating task on a standard bass; with the door, I can install one in about ten minutes with an excellent fit. ' Not sure the BC sound is what I'm going for right now....

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com
  13. hdiddy

More and more I seem to want an access door (so I can hide my contraband) and port holes facing me.
  14. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Contraband inside the bass??? Maybee, but there is not quite enough room!!!

Once in a while I'll hide a few rubber chickens inside the bass body before the show and then in a schtick of comic releif later on I make some awful noise during the gig and reach inside and pull them out and go on with the rocking show.

The face directed soundport is a whole other conversation! Let's just say that I've been using it for over five years now and, regardless of what anyone lese thinks, my new bass is getting one!

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com
  15. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    The idea of a second soundpost down near the tailpiece sounds like a frustrating task on a standard bass

Yes. Ship in a bottle work without a "Jimmy Door":)

I didn't mean that the sound post should be under the bar but that it would be tricky to fit and position with the bar in the way.

I'll have to dig up the photos, but the big brace was just below the end of the BB, and where I'm thinking the second post should go.

I should also simply experiment with the position of the existing post. Haven't done it yet. The bass does sound great as is, just a bit flabby under the bow on the E/C string.
  16. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

{applauding}