Typo on New Ashdown Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knappymer, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Has anyone noticed that the one treble knob on the new Rootmaster heads from Ashdown say 1K5Hz? Shouldn't they say 1.5KHz?

Just a thought. This first caught my eye in the May edition of Bassplayer as they have a close-up add on the middle of the issue.

I also checked out the website and it appears that way in those photos too
  2. It's not a typo, just a different notation that they use in Europe sometimes. They do it in electrical schematics as well, what it is is the unit replaces the decimal point - for example, a resistance value of 1.5K would become simply 1K5, or a capacitance value of 8.2nF becomes simply 8n2. (The ohms or farads is understood.) So, in your case, 1.5KHz becomes 1K5 Hz.
  3. DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    Ashdown is from the UK right? I'm from the UK and never heard of this notation type ever?...
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    1k5 = 1,5K = 1,5k = 1.5k = 1.5K all equivalent. It's the new math. Ask a kid.

1K5 is easier for people with seeing problems. Also takes up less space with one less character.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. They are, yes. I see it all the time on schematics and electrical/electronic things (about the only place I've seen it) and I use it regularly in schematics I've made, I'm not even in Europe. I guess if you don't do much work in that area then you may not see it as much?
  7. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's easier to print and read on tiny SMT resistors.
  8. Ah, very nice. Thank you for clearing that up. Now if I could just get my hands on one...
  9. AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    BTW, it is not a capital "K", since that means "Kelvin", for temperature.
    "Kilo" is abbreviated "k".
  10. Truth. haha
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Good grief! It's been in regular use for at least 30 years.
  12. chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    At least 30 probably 40
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I didn't want to show my ancientness!! :D