U-Bass/ GoldTone mini bass strings..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Root 5, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Root 5

Root 5

Apologies if this has been discussed to death already:

How does one get rid of the "sticky" feeling of the polyurethane U-Bass strings?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The polyurethane pahoehoe strings that come on a standard ubass aren't sticky. The thundergut strings that come on a gold tone microbass are very sticky for most people. Powder seems to be the most commonly used remedy.

If you have a microbass, it can be strung with pahoehoe strings. You can order a 24"+ scale set directly from road toad.

3. lz4005

lz4005

UBass strings aren't nearly as bad as Ashbory strings were, but occasionally they'll get a little sticky. Some baby powder on your hands rubbed up and down the strings will take care of it.

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one in an attempt to find a better solution to the STICKYNESS of the Aquila Thundergut strings.

Thunderguts are extremely sticky in my experience. I first owned a Kala UBASS that came with Pahoehoe's and although they were not sticky, they never stop stretching.

I heard about Thunderguts and ordered a set for the UBASS. As advertised, they do stabilize and stay in tune much better than the polyurethane strings, but the stickiness drives me crazy. Powder helps, but it's not a cure for the problem. I've tried a couple different types of common baby powder, and I've tried mass quantities of powder on my hands, & on the strings, neither of which provides much more than a few minutes of playing before the STICKYNESS returns.

I just bought a GT Microbass and it came with Thunderguts, but they haven't changed; STILL STICKY. What seems strange to me is that the strings have sticky "spots". The whole length of the string won't be sticky, but some spot on the string will be.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has experimented with other solutions to the STICKYNESS, like other types powder, baby oil, axle grease, graphite, Teflon, or ANYTHING that seems to work longer than a couple songs. I'm willing to try something before I wrap the bass around the nearest speaker stand.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Root 5

Root 5

La Bella makes a set of strings for these instruments. I think they'll solve the stickiness issues.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They would, but it completely changes the sound of the instrument. Then it just becomes a little acoustic bass. I've owned several ubasses. I love the sound and feel of pahoehoe strings, but finally came to the realization that I don't like little basses. The sound you get out of these strings is unique and awesome and it's a shame there are no 34" scale acoustics or piezo solidbodies with pahoehoe strings.

8. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Two drawbacks to the La Bella solution;

1. As the captain said, they have a totally different sound. I'm using my GT in place of my upright bass in bluegrass gigs, & the rubbery strings are the key to getting the upright-like tone.

2. Voids the GT warranty.

I may try some LaBella's someday if I can't find any other solution.

9. Root 5

Root 5

Wow! I didn't know they void the GT warranty! And it's true they do have a different sound.