1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

U.S. Peavey Club Part 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

No dream. This one, got it from the original owner a couple years ago in dead mint condition.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    That was the way I remembered it. Painted basses had fabric cases, and natural basses had foam lined cases. Obviously Peavey had the same issue I did.

7. Templar

Don't know about that. Got a half dozen painted Foundations here, only one of them came in a felt-lined coffin case, the other five are in foamed coffins.

I think Peavey did some mixing 'n matching of features back then, including cases. (not to mention substitutions by dealers)

8. Basstovsky

Basstovsky The guy with the dumb username... Supporting Member

In, older pic of the Patriot
    [​IMG]

Because since then I have upgraded the bridge (I just really dislike barrel-style saddles, and this one was affordable, and is EXCELLENT) which was more or less a drop-in replacement, no holes drilled and completely reversible if I ever for some insane reason decide to sell this delightful bass. Works great for C# tuning.
    [​IMG]

As I stated in the previous thread, this bass came with the foam-lined case, in which I replaced the garbage black foam with eggshell foam.

9. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Weird. I'm 100 percent sure that the stock foam in the stock case melted the finish on my stock bass, so I should just reiterate the point that you guys should be careful. Replacing the foam like Basstovsky did would be a great idea.

I'm sure it sounds like I'm being combative, and I don't mean to be, I simply don't want anyone to have to deal with the feeling of seeing their perfect bass gooped up.

That was not a good day. :)

10. Basstovsky

I received that warning when folks said I was lucky to get the felt case, so I was prepared when I got the Patriot to preemptively clear out the foam. Were it not for this club, my Patriot may have been gooped :D

11. Templar

No doubt it did, that black foam crap is horrid.

12. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

13. BassicJohn

BassicJohn Supporting Member

14. Basstovsky

Really nice but at that price not for me

15. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Picked up this Black fretless Foundation from fellow TB'er Invalidprotocol. It is happy its new home next to its older brother:
    I have been wanting a fretless for a long time and am glad I pulled the trigger, I couldn't be happier with it.

[​IMG]

16. ack

ack Supporting Member

The doorbell rings and it's the UPS guy walking away after leaving a guitar box.

I don't remember purchasing anything too recently, so I am wondering what the hell I've done. I open it up and in a case is a 1983 slanted SF Fury in Metallic Blue.

Turns out that my 'lil brother is in Austin, TX and saw this in a Pawn Shop - got a good deal and shipped it up here to NC.
    I have a 89 Split-P Fury, but always kinda wanted one of these.

Upon initial inspection, the bridge isn't mounted straight - not even close. The neck is good and straight and the the truss rod turns smoothly. It also sounds great. Neat to have T-40 type knobs on a Fury.

Took the bridge off to discover that the bridge had been moved/re-aligned before. There was an attempt at filling the original holes and then somehow, they misaligned the bridge again. I filled all the holes and marked up the centerlines of the bridge and the body and marked off 34" where the saddles will fall before intonation.

[​IMG]

After the filler hardens, I'll re-drill and mount the bridge - it should be as good as new by tomorrow.

All this gave me a chance to clean the Fretboard and take some #0000 to the frets - they look new and feel great.

I'll post a few pics after I get it all buttoned up.

It's cool to have a caring bunch of friends and brothers - seems like they're always looking out for me.

17. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Nice Fury, I always wanted one of those. Sounds like your brother is a keeper too!

18. Templar

Great color, looks to be in nice shape too.

'Grats.

19. ack

ack Supporting Member

Well, it took a little bit of work, but here it is:
    [​IMG]
    Bridge is on straight, but I had to shim (Billy Martin baseball card) the neck pocket to get the action better - the Micro Tilt helps a lot - a newish set of strings, a truss rod adjustment, intonation set, and I've now got a great playing '83 Fury.

20. mech

mech

Great looking bass. I don't have one but always liked them. They never seem to turn up in my area and I really don't like the idea of buying an instrument online without being able to play it.

Ditto on your brother being a keeper, too.

mech

edit: I used to have a 1967 Pontiac GTO that was that color.

21. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Did anybody here snag the Palaedium on the GC used site? It was there yesterday, and I should've snagged it... $119, IIRC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.