UGH! Just found some damage to my bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman Ski, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Bassman Ski

Bassman Ski Supporting Member

I have NO idea how I missed this. I bought my bass a week ago (Fender Dimension) and was playing it tonight... felt a "rough" spot on the neck about 3/4 wide by 1 1/2" long and if you look at it in the light, you can see someone had hit it with sandpaper :mad:

Bring it back to GC or call Fender?

I am so pissed.

I know it's not Fender's mess but wonder if they will do something. UGH!!!!

I am just afraid I will be met with "You had it for a week and didn't notice it?"

2. strangedejavu

strangedejavu Supporting Member

Media:
    Is it just a sandpaper mark? finished or unfinished neck? If its unfinished I would just polish it out with some lighter grits and call it good. I bet guitar center would take it back though no problem, you have 30 days usually at guitar center for returns.

3. Bassman Ski

This plays so beautifully I would rather fix than replace. What it is almost a satin finish so to take it down a tad would not be bad either. I am not a Luthier so I know my limitations. I dont want to completely screw up a good thing. If I have to live with it I will. Like buying a new car and noticing a screw up that someone tried to fix. (That also happened to me :( )

Its one of those, Do something now or forever hold your peace.

4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

If you play this bass instead of wall-mounting it, you will have more dents and scratches in no time.

Then you can call it "road worn".

:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M0ses

M0ses

Just use some fine steel wool on the entire neck. That will probably remove the irregularity and make the neck feel nicer all around.

7. Bassman Ski

I have road worn... just wanted the new bass smell for a few weeks longer before the dents set in on this one

8. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Don't use steel wool!

The dust will just end up stuck all over your pickups because of the magnets in them.

Go to Lowes and get some of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_335873-98-1...1&currentURL=?Ntt=3m+finishing+pad&facetInfo=

That is the Grey, but you probably also want Green and White.

Green is the most coarse, Grey is in between, and White is the least coarse.

Hit your rough spot with the green until it feels smooth. Then you could probably just do the whole neck with the grey, and then the white. That will ensure the whole neck feels consistent.

9. Bassman Ski

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!! Thank you... I will do it.