Ugly pinky on right hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

When I play bass with my three fingers for metal, my pinky looks NASTY. It's almost to the point now where I just use two fingers and not keep the speed with guitar players. It curves in to the left and raises like a scorpion. This ONLY happens when I use three fingers. Especially gallops.

I want my finger to go downward/upward and STRAIGHT. Not to curve like a scorpion with a stinger going to the left. What can I do to make my pinky straight? I've tried pulling it back but my hand loses it's full potential and I can't get nearly as fast. Alex Webster manages to keep his pinky straight while playing. How can I do this?
  2. nendo

nendo

It might just be how your finger is shaped. When you use your Little finger is there any strain? is it comfy or is just a look that is bothering you?
  3. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

Pics or no ****ed up pinky...

:D
  4. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Its the look. Its nasty.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. justinellison3

justinellison3

...... what does it matter as long as it works?
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

If it sounds good, then your technique is good. I wouldn't mess with it. How bad can it really look? I mean, no one looks at music. Idk, like someone else said, I'd have to see a pic/vid of it to make a better assessment.
  8. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

9. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

I doubt the audience is looking at a knarly pinky. I wouldn't worry unless the Pinky Police come after you :)
  10. robbotbass

robbotbass

Get a scorpion tat on your hand with the stinger on the pinky! that would be Effing awesome!
  11. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

it may be unhealthy. try to relax it, stretch and all that... sounds like it can cause trouble down the road if you don't pay attention to it now! but go to the root, don't just settle for fixing the looks :)
  12. 4dog

4dog

Ever watched a video of stevie ray vaughn ,,, i mean cmon his face looled like jellyfish or somethin when he played,, but,, didnt seem to hurt his career,, focus son focus!!
  13. justinellison3

justinellison3

Haha niccceeee
  14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Hand that looks like a scorpion in most genres = minor to nonexistent problem

Hand that looks like a scorpion in metal = awesome. Should be in your CL ad (experienced metal bassist, good equipment/attitude, hand that looks like an ugly scorpion)

;)
  15. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Wriggle your pinky. Notice how your ring finger moves too? They share a tendon, and curling it like that might cause problems for your ring finger further down the line. I was taught to start my two finger playing style by letting the ring finger and pinky hang limp. Practice that a bit, and then start including your ring finger, and you'll probably find it a lot more comfortable.
  16. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Ahh the little finger issue again. I think I may have to include a video on why such issues are non-issues. But if you want it to go away you have to give the little finger a job to do. So simply hold a coin in it when you play, keep it comfortable and relaxed and not only will your problem stop almost imeadiatly, but you will with practice see a remarked improvement in your hand use. When you start to drop the coin, take a short break, do some stretches then start again, eventually you will learn to hold on to the coin, then you will not need the coin as the "problem" will have fixed itself.

Check out the link on how where to place the coin.

17. jabsys

jabsys

Mine appears to do the same thing, I don't see it as a big issue, I wouldn't have even noticed before.

Are you still holding the coin & playing with 3 fingers? just tried and there's no way I can do that, curly my pinky to hold the coin forces my ring finger to curl in as well.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I refuse to help until we get a load of this messed up digit.

But I promise you nobody else has noticed or cares one bit. Can you just imagine somebody leaving your show and saying....

"That band would have been GREAT if it weren't for the guy who played that really big guitar with the messed up pinky and junk!"

Friend says "Totally. It was like so like messed up and junk."

Other friend says "Like I wonder like how it got so like messed up....... and junk."

Other other friend says "Totally. Like messed up and junk."

Last friend says. "I would like totally like to get some food and junk right now..... but that guy's totally like messed up pinky has like made me totally sick and junk."

Not happening. Do yourself a favor and quit worrying about dumb...... uh..... junk.

But put up a pic of your goofed up finger! I wanna Facebook that gnarled up crusty lookin' mutated thing!

But seriously. Nobody cares.
  19. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

Best advice I've ever read on this site.

:D
  20. FallingUnknown

FallingUnknown

Practice slowly in front of a mirror. Your pinky will never stay still using 3 finger technique but u can relieve a little tension by relaxing the pinky. It takes getting used to but stare at that pinky in a mirror. When you see it curl up: stop, reposition it, and go again.
  21. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

Didn't seem to bother this guy much: Cliff_Burton_Rtl.jpg :cool: