1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ultimate Bass you've played but will never own

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigthemLows, Mar 24, 2014.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

This is kinda silly I suppose, but since I've been around a long time, been to NAMM quite a few times, I started thinking about the basses I've owned, then I started thinking of the ones that I've played at get togethers and such.......

I'd say Steve Lawsons Modulus and Hippiesandwiches Wals, mainly this one!! It was amazing in every way!!

The Fodera Wal
    [​IMG]

2. Pokerstar

Pokerstar Supporting Member

A brand new, right out of the case Alembic Stanley Clarke short scale. All I can say is ..... WOW and DROOL! :)

3. lz4005

lz4005

The two best basses I've ever played, and will never own, were a Dingwall and a Sadowsky. Both amazing playing and sounding instruments that it would be silly for me to ever spend the money on, given the number of good-to-great basses I already own and won't ever sell.

Edit: Also a fretless Zon that was out of this world. Same deal.

4. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Played a wonderful Roscoe Beck IV years and years ago. They are just so hard to find. Great sound and playability. I hope I own one one day, but I am not holding my breath.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jdwilliams

jdwilliams

Played Victor's personal ying yang..

7. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thought it was the Fender American Deluxe jazz bass, until I went to the London bass guitar show. Spotted a stingray 4hh in natural finish with an ash body, as I picked it up and started playing a guy was checking the price tag on the headstock. I couldn't put it down, I wanted it and he was not getting his hands on it! Suppose I'm lucky to have got my ultimate bass, though I've never played a crazy-expensive bass before (was itching to try out the £5000 warwick star bass at the show but couldn't get close).

8. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

I played this too, and although it had too many strings for me, it was comfortable and sooooo beautiful......

[​IMG]

and this was the best sounding playing fretless I've ever touched!!
    [​IMG]

here's me playing this amazing Wal
    [​IMG]

I got to hold this, but didn't know what to do with it
    [​IMG]

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

I've played both of those too! The Wal-dera is sooooo heavy but sounds *amazing*. I'd add Jean Baudin's Joust bass to that list.

I've played a bunch of high end basses, and owned a few, but the Wal-dera and Joust take the cake.

10. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

Warwick's Infinity bass

and

Mike's newer high end MTD's

Wal

Mayones

11. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

Turner/Renaissance 5 string. My most expensive bass is my Gold Tone MicroBass. It was $375. I'm sure that Turner was ten times that or so

12. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I played my buddy's Fodera AJ. Loved the way it played, looked and felt....but I'd never put up with the wait, the weight, or the price.

Or any Fodera for that matter. Just too expensive for my tastes and use. Gimme a good Nordy or Roscoe any day. I might cry if I broke it or it got stolen, but I wouldn't have to mortgage the house to replace it!

dcr

13. brconflict

brconflict

Before Gibson Guitars, for lack of a better description, utterly destroyed the Tobias name by producing awful quality and unplayable sticks of barbed lumber, there was a perfectly constructed custom checker-board top (light/dark wood) Tobias bass made for Maurice Gibb that was touchable at the '99 NAMM show in Nashville. I would beat down a forest to find that axe. I played it for 20 minutes before he ever got his hands on it, but I was too late to slap down about $4K+ (not that I really had that money).

Yes, the new "Toby" basses are MUCH more affordable, but Tobias is a man's name who's been known to make high quality instruments over the years. The company who owned the name after Tobias was out didn't do anything better, but Gibson literally took a high quality named bass and dragged it through the mud, insulting previous owners who paid good money for a higher-quality instrument. It's sad to see something so great be taken down to a plastic level. Thanks, Gibson! Nash-villains.

14. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

A pre EB stingray, I think it was a 79'... Just stunning, passed on it when I was 21 yrs old (didn't have the $900 asking price) in 1993, I still think about it... She was the one that got away :(

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

james trussart let me play one of his hollow metal pj basses at his house during a party, really cool, focused, and resonant, made me feel like i was playing an instrument from the future/past, sorry i can't describe how nice it was i'm a sculptor not a poet

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Mr. Turner's double neck Conklin..

[​IMG]

17. eukatheude

eukatheude

The best bass I've ever played was an used Warwick Infinity.
    You know, The One? That was it. Definitely couldn't afford it back then and can't afford it now. It's probably gone now.

18. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

I saw Mr Turner play that at a gig close up... it's a beast

19. ncapone

ncapone

I've got my ultimate bass. A StingRay classic 5. But besides that, a vintage jazz (early 60s) would be cool.

20. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I played a ridiculous 66 jazz once, most amazing Jazz i've ever played. I should have bought it and dealt with the debt later... It's since sold and long gone.

21. garp

garp

It was a ‘66 Jazz for me, too. Just splendid in every conceivable way. Had the opportunity to acquire it about five years ago, but I could not rationalize the price tag. I don’t consider that bass to be “the one that got away” but rather “the one that made me realize I can be content with the Jazzes I already own.”