Ultimate Guitar stand GS-100 failure! Warning!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kopfjaeger, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

About a year ago, I purchased two Ultimate Guitar stands. Last week I was moving the stand with my $1700 Rickenbacker 4003 in it. After moving the stand, the legs collapsed. Luckily my hand was near the headstock and I prevented the bass from hitting the ground. I thought the lock mechanism may not have been engaged. Today, I was placing my Modulus Q5 in the other stand when the legs collapsed. Once again I was able to save the bass from hitting the ground.

This time I knew the lock was set properly. I reset the legs, reengaged the lock and put slight downward pressure on the stand. The lock mechanism automatically turned to unlock and the legs collapsed.

I've sent an email to Ultimate Support to see what they say about the catastrophic failure. Has anyone else had these issues with these stands??

Sepp
  2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

I had the same stand with the same issue. Ultimate Supports response: "sorry, your stand is no longer under warranty."
  3. carl h.

carl h.

That must be why they are for sale so cheap now. I was looking at one the other day. I'm glad I passed.
  4. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I own three of these stands.
    The other musicians in both bands that I'm in liked them enough that everyone has switched to these.

This is not cool.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Hmm,, I hope Ultimate tells me they won't do anything for me either. I'll post a You Tube video of them failing as I press my pinky downward on them. I'll post the video here as well as a few other forums I belong to to help get the word out. My video will show me beating the hell out of all of them when they fail so that none of my instruments run the risk of being damaged.

I'm just not going to give up and go away easy. It's just not part of who I am.

I see the ones offered on their sit have gray locks on them. Mine are all Orange locks. I'm kinda pissed at myself for not noticing the fault before nearly incurring damage t two basses!! Kinda horrified at the ease they fold with slight downward pressure.
    Sepp
  7. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

You know, I screwed with both stands for nearly 10 minutes attempting to get them to both work and was unable. Then by "magic? I was able to get one to hold firm without collapsing. My confidence in them is gone so I'm not using them until I hear from Ultimate. The GS200 I purchased two weeks ago, seems fine but I'm quite leery of it.
  8. 3506string

3506string

I've had one for a couple months. No problems so far. I have the grey twist lock on mine.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    I have an older one (red/orange lock knob) that's been trouble free so far, and I've been considering another. Thanks for the heads-up - I'll check mine over.
  10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Wow
    I have three of them (all over ten years old) and no trouble at all. Sad to hear they've gone downhill.

John
  11. brianerwin

brianerwin

I appreciate the update on Ultimate stands.
    My daughter has the GS100 stand and I just took a very good look at it. I opened it, closed it, and even put some pretty good weight on the thing litteraly trying to fold the legs on it. I was unable to, so I can only put my stamp of approval on the GS100 at least.
    Possibly this was a better made stand than its cousin the GS200.

She is putting acoustic guitars on it so there is not as much weight on it as there would be for a bass.
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm very sorry for being rude. (edit by Josh Ryan)I've been using the FretRest by Proline HT1010 Guitar Stand that I bought at Guitar Center for $19.95 for a few years now. I have three of them, and have never had a problem.

My Ovation 12 string is cleverly designed so that, if it hits the ground, most likely the headstock will break off, or so I've read.

I would be really unhappy if that happened.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/FretRes...02818-i1167038.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I had a problem with my Ultimate stand breaking one of the locks, and they sent me a new one, although I had to complain that they were charging me at first to get a free one. But I've had it almost a year now with no other complaints. It's collapsed a couple times, but only because I forgot to lock the legs in. But the one thing I can see you should never do is move it with a bass hanging in it. No good ever comes from it.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I had issues with the legs on one, and the lock that holds the top part extended failed on the other one I have. Last time I will buy them.
  16. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

I've had one fail on my twice... One time my 99 MIA Precision tumbled off the stage to the carpeted floor of our church. Narry a scratch on the bass but convinced me to stop using them...

I like these... Work great for my P-basses.... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GtrStdSm/
  17. pflash4001

pflash4001

I've got one with the yellow lock on it. It's junk. The thing started giving out not long after I got it. To be honest, I'm not sure why I haven't tossed it yet, but I haven't used it in forever.
  18. pondscum29

pondscum29

Wow, I have two of these (red locks). One is about 5 years old, the other 3, and never had anything go wrong with them. Even slammed the stand (sans bass of course) down on its legs once (as a demo), and it held strong. Guess their QC has gone downhill.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The choice of professional bassists worldwide. Me too.
  20. bootsox

bootsox

in my experience, those things really don't like Fender-style headstocks.
  21. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

That'll show 'em. :rolleyes: