1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ULTIMATE Mini Rigs of Doom

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by garythenuke, Jan 12, 2013.

1. garythenuke

garythenuke

This is a spin off from the "Mini Rigs of Doom" threads parts I-IV. I asked this question in part IV, and the suggestion was made to create a new thread. So.... Here goes:

A question for you all. Say all your gear just got stolen or destroyed in a fire. The only thing left is your favorite six string bass (active/passive with super hot pickups, or not if you are in passive mode) that your band plays death metal, TOOL, Metallica, and RCHP covers on.

Your band has gotten recently busy and you are gigging three or five nights a week all in different venues of different sizes.

Your back is getting tired, and you have no roadies so decide to go 100% mini. Your insurance check is coming in because you thought ahead to insure all your gear.

What do you buy? What is the ultimate mini rig of doom? You can't rely on PA support, and your drummer and guitarist are crazy aggressive and loud...

Do you go colorful pre-amp with a separate power amp? If so, which one(s).
    Do you go Fearful or LDS boutique on the cab side?

What would you buy if you were absolutely starting from scratch in building your mini-rig of doom? Is the technology there where you could take a step towards the "Micro-rigs of doom"????
  2. MyMusic

MyMusic

Mine would be pretty simple. An Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and a Glasstone Lil G. Should be enough for anything I would want to do. Jazz, Gospel, Blues and R&B.
  3. makohund

makohund

Mini: Preamp of choice, Peavey IPR 3000 DSP, composite fEARless F115. Second F115 expands it to "maxi".

Micro: Micro head of choice (would need to try a few), fEARless F112. Can combine with "maxi" for "mega".
  4. garythenuke

garythenuke

Those Peaveys are sweet. What's the smallest and most "full figured" of the preamps out there?
  5. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Smallest I'd think you could use a Sansamp (I'd use the para just for the mid control) or the Tone Hammer pedal and you could get away with just a two space rack for the power amp. You'd have a DI with either. How full featured did you want?
  6. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

Barefaced Super 12T and a GB Streamliner 900 would be hard to beat IMO .

Attached Files:

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For that situation I'd use a GK MB800 or MB500 into my can of choice.
  8. garythenuke

garythenuke

Not terribly I guess. I suppose I was thinking "built better" rather than "bells and whistles".
  9. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper

I would go barefaced super 15 with gk mb800 or any otherxwell voiced micro, streamliner , puma etc
  10. cjp3044

cjp3044

Disclosures:
    Part time guitar and amp tech at the Tone Shop
    +1 -- AWESOME and under 40 pounds. Also good for classic and hard rock gigs, really just about anything!
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT/810.

Seriously though, I'd do a PF800 and two PF115he's.
  12. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'd use a Big E 4x6 or TC115AF with a vintage voiced amp like the TH500 or PF500. Truthfully, I'd drive my cabs with my Mesa Buster or 300 Pro though.
  13. tom once dead

tom once dead

I'd probably get a Genz Streamliner 900 or a shuttle 12.0 for the head, running a VT pedal of course.

As for the cabs, I'm not too schooled on whats good and lightweight, so I'm going to say a Genz Benz NeoX 212, because I've had a little experience with one and they're super easy to move, loud and don't sound too bad. I'm sure there are way better lightweight cabs out there though.
  14. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I would go with a Bill Fitzmaurice Jake Lite 1x12 for the cab. Folded horn design, under 30 lbs loaded with a speaker, can be had for under $300 and some work to build it.

lowsound
  15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

I'd probably just replace what I have: AG500 & a pair of GS112's. I'd go TH500 if I couldn't get another AG, and I'd probably try the SL112's, but I'm really happy with where my stuff is right now so I don't see the need to change.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    I'd use what I already use... RCHP covers, no problem. Michael Pope designs Mitre Box preamp into Acoustic Image Clarus 4 Series 2 into Glasstone Lil G 2-12. Add my Boss GT-10B for color. Add a Lil G 210 or second Lil G for ridiculously loud. Done deal. Amp, preamp and two 2-12 cabs around 70 lb. and very modular.

[​IMG]

One of these sixes is what I would hopefully have left.
    :D
  17. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

well, I don't play any of those bands/genres but I'd go with a JohnK_10 Starliner loaded with Faitals and a GK MB800.