Um...am I weird? (Pickup height related issue)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AndyLES, Dec 6, 2013.

1. AndyLES

AndyLES

Yeah, yeah, I've read the official specs on the Fender site and here...but I actually like the P pickups on my LTD Vintage-204 PJ to be kinda almost flattish and low. The J is higher, but I haven't experienced any "unevenness" in tone, or weird intonation gremlins.

It just sounds...well, good, with more than enough low end.

Have I gone made, or is this a particular quirk this bass has?
  2. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I set my P pup with a touch of height in the middle.....but its pretty much flat and sounds wonderful....I actually lowerd it like that becuase the mid was a touch too nasaly.
  3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The only downside to having pickups low is lower output and possibly less sustain. But that really depends on the strength of the pickup and the strings. Hotter magnets and strings with higher ferrous metal content = hotter output signal.

The Fender specs for pickup height are only a starting point and are based on vintage spec/output pickups. Once you set things to spec, you fine tune by ear until things work for your pickup/string combination and playing style. Sometimes that means the pickups will be high and angled, other times lower and flat. As long as your ears are happy, that's all that matters.

Cheers for taking the time to experiment and find the pickup height that works for you. It's an all too often overlooked part of a great setup.
  4. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

It's called personal preference. Your doing it right.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

You are 100% correct in your method. Specs are only suggestions, starting points for a setup.

The only thing you can't do different is intonation, but you know that.