1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Un-installing pickups: Cutting leads "Rant warning!!!"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kulit17, Oct 7, 2013.

1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Media:
    I just don't get it! Why do people do this?!? Only time i think its understable is when Fender twists the wires on the leg and basically ties it and puts a glob of solder on making it 200% difficult to desolder the wire off. Every time I see a FS thread that mentions anything remotely that wires were cut :eek: just wanna rip my hair out. I see it as a potential price markdown!!Especially with nice quality pickups!!! How hard is it desolder a wire?? Tin the tip of the iron, touch the leg and allow solder to heat up so wire is loose and "viola"!! All original wires still intact. Buyer wouldn't even need to tin the wire installing it since its already done!! Why cut PU wires? Just because it's faster and easier :confused: oh well!! Saw this too many times.....just had to let it out, perhaps seeing it at a different angle or sharing this frustration will simmer this down :bag:

2. tranceFusion

tranceFusion

3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Some are lazy, some are stupid.
    Then there's people like you and I, who do sensible things.
    Kinda like drivers.

4. Major Softie

Major Softie

My guess is that it's mostly because instruments are being stripped for parts by ebay sellers who don't know the first thing about actually working on instruments.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

It's only an issue with epoxy-potted pickups, since the leads cannot be replaced. Otherwise, it's like a dollar to replace the wire.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Ever put a set of Dimarzio pups in a jazz bass? It's a major PITA to stuff all that excess wire in without getting something pinched.

There is a TON of excess wire. I've done two sets and didn't trim the wires to make it easier to do because like you I hate to shorten wires unless there is a reason beyond convenience, but I think most folks don't worry about it because they don't think about ever taking the pups back out.

There is also the possibility they leave a small tag of wire so they'll know where to put he wires back when they reassemble? I know you can make a quick sketch, but why bother if you can just leave bit of insulation to match up to later?

Clipping would make breakdown much quicker and allow you to desolder the tags well away from the finish, eliminating one chance to drip molten tin on the guard or finish.

Honestly, I can think of several reasons why someone might prefer to clip leads rather than desolder.

The main reason would be it's their bass so it's their business what they do with it, and most certainly not my place to judge what they do with their bass because I most certainly don't care what they think about the things I do that have no bearing on the actual performance of my instrument.

When I first went to work on motorcycles, I had a service manager who was hyper critical of everything. If you were doing the work right you would be holding the wrench wrong.

In the end as long as the bass works as intended and there is enough wire to get the job done wouldn't it be more an example of your OCD to gripe about cut wires rather than poor workmanship for someone else to clip their wires rather than desolder?

8. GlennW

GlennW

Reasons to cut leads:
    1) quick
    2) easy
    3) won't overheat the pot
    4) you can leave a couple inches of the leads on the pot for testing other pickups without having to solder

The guys who get me are the ones who cut the leads and leave 1" or less ON THE PICKUP. I bought an old '60s hollow body that needed assembly, and some genius had cut the leads about 1/4" from the baseplates on both HB's. That was a PITA to fix because the pickups had to be disassembled to make new connections.

9. eukatheude

eukatheude

I did that on a chinese no name pickup, cutting like 2 cm from the pickup, and only later i realised what i did.