1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Unable to get a natural harmonic on the 9th fret

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by busta_bird, Jul 26, 2010.

1. busta_bird

busta_bird

I've searched around and read posts about the many factors that contribute to a natural harmonic. I have a Yamaha TRB1004 (35'' scale 4 string) and can't seem to get the harmonic on the 9th fret. I have no issues getting them on 3/5/12. Any idea what my problem might be?
  2. Gawd

Gawd

Are you placing your finger right over the actual fret between the frets?
  3. busta_bird

busta_bird

Right over the 9th fret closest to the bridge. Same way as the other frets. Do you think it has anything to do with the scale?
  4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

It's a tough one to get. On my basses I have to stop the node just shy of the 9th fret, not right on the fret.

John
  5. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

^ You've got intonation issues.

To the OP: I can get that harmonic on my 35" fiver; scale has got nothing to do with that. The problem could be either your strings and/or the intonation.
  6. deaf pea

deaf pea

Disclosures:
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    busta_bird, you need to put your finger a bit BEFORE the fret, about the width of MY finger . . . :cool: . . .

Also the strings should be new, or almost so. Roundwound strings are the easiest to produce natural harmonics with.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I'd check your intonation. Could be a hair off.
  8. Grey Sarcasm

Grey Sarcasm

Although new strings are certainly easier to get harmonics with, I get harmonics just fine on my 6-month old D'Addario flats. Definitely check your intonation.
  9. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Look out, zombie thread.
  10. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Your EQ can help that as well. I noticed harmonics showing through MUCH more with upper mids boosted.