1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

unamplified volume?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wcre, Feb 1, 2014.

1. wcre

wcre

Quick question before I buy in on a bass again, it's been so long since my last one I've forgotten.

Are unamplified/headphone amped bases generally apartment friendly in terms of volume?

Specifically I have an opportunity to grab a godin freeway 5 (Active) at a good price but I suspect setting up a decent amp here would be unwise.

2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

My head hurts trying to figure out what you're asking. Are you asking if you'd be able to hear the bass adequately unamplified?

3. wcre

wcre

sorry, more specifically how likely are my neighbors to hear me playing unamplified?

4. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Ahhhh..... I've never had an issue in 4 different apartments over the course of of a dozen years. I'd refrain from slapping at 3AM if you're concerned, but otherwise I doubt anyone would hear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jefkritz

jefkritz

depends how thin your walls are, but shouldn't be an issue. if you're able to have a conversation without your neighbors complaining, an unamplified bass should be fine.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Meh. Play what you want and just be respectful. I think most apartments prohibit loud noise after 11pm. Your neighbors should be happy you're not a drummer.

8. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

My wife complains when I play my bass in the next room with headphones. But I think she has super hearing. It's certainly no louder than a TV at normal volume so your neighbors can't complain. One of my friends used to practice guitar through a marshall stack in his apartment so you won't be pissing off your neighbors to the degree he did!

9. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

If a neighbor comes to your door bitching about your playing, the butt-end of your bass guitar, applied to their skull in an overhand motion, should effectively quell further complaint.

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

As long as your walls aren't made of tissue paper, you should be fine. I've squeaked by on a headphone amp and a closed door in deference to my girlfriend who has to deal with A.D.D.…
    …and is prone to migraines…
    …and does computer work from home.
    Yeah, no acoustic drums in my future, and certainly no 300 watt bass amp!

On a related note, I use a Pocket Rockit S1b. It gets the job done very nicely, whether I'm at home or killing some time at my workplace.

11. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

My wife wakes up when I play my Ubass in the next room. The door is closed and towel stuffed against the bottom, and a machine that makes white noise like a loud fan is on in the bedroom. It's not amplified and I can barely hear myself playing but she says its pretty loud. Drives me nuts!

12. JustForSport

JustForSport

Since a 'godin freeway 5' is electric/solid body, you shouldn't have any problems,
    but an acoustic/electric, or just acoustic, maybe, because of the sound pressure waves.
    Sony MDR-V6 headphones thru Korg's Pandora PX5D or Korg mini headphone amp works good with a 5-string.

13. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 phones are great for bass. The Behringer UCA222 will give you a cheap headphone amp/recording interface with ability to send sound out to a home stereo for some more volume.