1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Unbalanced pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MikeKaperys, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MikeKaperys

MikeKaperys

So I've bought this ESP LTD B206SM after reading good reviews of it - it sounds awesome, looks even better. The only downside is that it's really heavy, and the issue I started this thread for; the pickups seem to be unbalanced.. :s
    I've tried everything I can to try and get a more even sound across all the strings, but from the D - C the sound gets noticeable quieter.
    I've tried heavier string gauges too. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how the bass is?

Cheers,
    Mike
  2. danstefl

danstefl

Yes, those are heavy basses. I play the ESP LTD D5 and she is a beast. Few times my shoulder would hurt after a few hours of standing and playing.

I have not had that issue at all with mine. I did have to get a compressor to help pull in the higher strings so the sound was a bit more even across all strings.

I also string my different - I pull off the low B STring and string it with a high C instead.

I would have it looked at, just so you are without a doubt correct in what you think the problem is.
  3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have a B206 (pre spalted maple) with ESP's version of the EMG HZ pickups. It was my primary instrument for a while. Didn't notice any difference in the volume of the individual strings.

Maybe your EQ settings or the built-in voicing of your amp/cab are emphasizing the lower frequencies?
    Also you might want to try balanced tension string sets. I use CircleK balanced sets on all my 5 and 6 string basses. They seem to even out the "sound" in addition to the "feel".
  4. MikeKaperys

MikeKaperys

Thanks a lot guys, I'll try those :)