Unbelievable.

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Count Bassie, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

I'm selling my Ampeg PF500 head. It's a nice amp, I like it, but I need a cab and have another head. I'm broke, drive a POS, work two or three part-time jobs. Got kiddies in school, yadda-yadda...

So it's been a curious and somewhat entertaining episode getting offers to pay less than my quite friendly $275-shipped price from alleged 'worshipers of Jesus' and 'old guys with no bread'- all of whom actually turn out to be fairly well-endowed with nice expensive gear, after you go have a look at their profile pages! :p

Here I am, broke as a bartender on Sunday morning, just trying to get my arse back to playing my gigs, and here come the posing-as-needy and their stories... I even went back to one PM in my inbox just because I sort of felt bad for the guy after re-reading his pm, wherein he presented a most pathetic image of a poor old guy- he's got a gear list longer than a Pro-Tools tutorial!

Funny, funny, funny peeps... :rollno:

2. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

Good observation grasshopper.

3. Count Bassie

I'm 52. No less annoyed with it than I ever was. Only difference is that now I'm ready to punch someone in the face.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Meh. I'm sure it is annoying but each person in a deal has a job to do. Your job is to make your piece of gear seem as though it sounds like the left hand of God on a 20 ft Steinway and is priced to fairly that any objection to price is pure ridiculousness on its face. The buyer's job is to try to convince you that your piece of crap is barely worth buying and they don't have any money anyway....... but of course they still want it.

It seems as though both of you are just doing your jobs. Don't take it personally. It's just business. You don't have to accept their offers.

GLWTS anyway.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Count Bassie

Alright, I don't need your "reasonable perspective" on it. :p

I'm a bad businessman and I know it, but I do like to deal in a way that reflects honesty, integrity, and an amicable disposition concerning the benefit of both parties.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

...so you'll take 150?
    :bag:

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I'd blame the thread bashing the PF500. That's probably why you're getting lowballed. People expect that 5 minutes after they get it it's going to blow up :D

9. Count Bassie

I suspect the same. :meh:

Still, it's a drag to read about how much someone loves Jesus and then aims to take a shot at shorting you. Somehow I find this generally disappointing... I'm not, after all, Caesar over here... :rolleyes:

10. Count Bassie

Hmm. When I sold tools it was just business. This has a pretense of being a musician's forum and tends to promote a sense of some kind of solidarity as regards the making of music/art, and upholding a semblance of a spirit of cooperation, etc... now, yes that's something of a veneer after all, and we all know that.

But that said- no, when it comes to taking advantage by deception, I disagree with the 'just doing their job' idea. Because someone 'worships Jesus', for example, I'm supposed to think that's reason enough drop my already nice price one more time, so he can have what he wants. I don't believe it's anyone's job is to try and tap another's empathy for unequal gain. Not here. What are we, chimpanzees? Nope, that's crap.

But the end of my harangue is that we concerned parties have sorted it out, and found good terms to deal on. I even got a pretty funny note back from one dude... and there are no hard feelings outward at all. And admittedly, I realize I can get a little 'bristly'. :eyebrow: :smug:

And, after having written all this, I realize that "Ethics" are, according to my good old Brit lawyering friend, the county in England "north of Thuthics"... (you may have to say that to yourself once to 'get it').

Thanks for allowing for my little rant here. Have a good day, and let's be careful out there. :)

11. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

I live in Ethics Couny!

Agree with you, Roger. Lof people looking for a super deal that they can flip for more if they end up not liking what they get from you and will lie to get sometimes.

12. Count Bassie

Right... and that's business (don't like the lying part, but we're people and that's a problem), except under the pretense proffered here at Talkbass. Getting in with the 'nice' ticket and looking to slip a Mickey into the deal... bogus.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i think it's way better than the art world, where somebody drives up in a 100k car and tells you that they want your art for free, because it will be great exposure for you to have it in there house due to them having a lot of rich friends

14. Count Bassie

(As preamble to my reply I'll note that my controversy with those I mentioned previously is now over and done with, and I'm only speaking rhetorically now...)

Well, that's a rich guy. You know it, he knows it, and apparently he got that way with the attitude he's displaying in that conversation. It's all on the table to anyone with any powers of observation at all.

I think your own peers trying to rip you off is worse.

15. frits51

frits51 Supporting Member

So, did the amp sell?

16. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Rich people don't get that way by giving away money. Just sayin'.

17. Count Bassie

One guys says he'll get back by tomorrow, said after all the price is fair. I've had local nibbles as well on CL, but every offer is asking to pay less. It's still here...

Giving away money is not the problem- it's the taking for free (or offering nothing). They are not the same thing. ;)

18. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    What makes you think the list of gear in a profile is any more honest than the excuses given for wanting you to drop your price?

19. Count Bassie

Everyone is responsible for their own integrity, that's not my issue. All I have to judge with is what someone represents themselves as. "Fair enough", I say...

More important than honesty is motive. If, for instance, you want to create a perception of yourself with a long list of possessions, that's your issue. But if you're going to post that 'information' and then cry poverty at my meager price, you can expect to be called up short.