Undercover Bass gig bags info wanted

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IvanMike, Jul 25, 2011.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Media:
    Hey there - I was glad to find that undercover bass cases are alive and well. At the guitar show in PA a week or so ago I talked to a cat who had one, and much to my delight they make them with backpack straps now too (I bought mine in 1984 and the zipper just failed - not a bad run)

However, although bass central appears to sell them, I have been unsuccessful in finding direct contact info for the company. Does anyone know of any? (I see that many high end bass makers actually ship their axes in their cases - which confirms my love for this brand.)

also - does anyone have exp with their double cases? Are they just as protective as the single model? or do they compromise some of the protection in order to fit two basses?

in This thread in misc I had sought methods for replacing the zipper. The player I talked to said that UC will actually repair these cases, but i have no idea of the cost compared to using a luggage repair service. (i also wonder if they would retrofit backpack straps to my well loved old case)

thanks for any info.

Ivan

2. jayman121

jayman121

Hi,
    I was looking for direct contact info for Undercover cases also.
    I have a case that has a bad zipper too and wanted to have it replaced. The case is in great shape except for the zipper. Any info would be much appreciated.

3. ricguy

ricguy

I have an UnderCover bag too. Bought mine in '92 and it's still going strong...for the most part - the acc. pocket is staring to come apart at the seams, so I need to find a seamstress to fix it.

Anyway here's the link to UCC's website:Under Cover Cases

My bag also had a problem with the zipper - I'd zip it closed and it would open back up! I took it to a shoe repair place that also replaces zippers. The guy replaced the "slider" in < 1 min. and charged me $5!! Been working great ever since.

4. jayman121

jayman121

Thanks Ricguy,
    I've been using Undercover bags since I first met the owner Sammi at a NAMM show years ago. I have 3 of them including the one with the bad zipper. If they can't fix it maybe a seamstress or shoe repair place can fix it. I've got the same problem, you zip it up and it comes apart behind the zipper. Other than that the bag is in great condition.
    Thanks again,
    jayman

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jayman121

jayman121

HI,

I thought my zipper was bad but I took it to a luggage shop to have it replaced and they said the problem was the slider. They adjusted it for $10.00 and the zipper works fine now. You might way to check and see if that's the problem you're having. I also got an email address undecovercases.com/
    It shows a web page with some info. You might be able to contact them thru that. Good luck.

7. bassclef04

bassclef04 Supporting Member

Overall how do you guys feel about the protection of the undercover bags? How's the padding at the bottom of the interior of the bag, will my bass hit the floor hard placing the bag on the ground?

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    This is a very good bag, but I also have a problem with the zipper which isn't the slider, there's a bump on the actual zipper near the top that causes it to open slightly and the front pocket is ripping away from the body. I would love to get these things fixed because it's a great double bass bag.

9. Chebass88

Chebass88

I use the double gig bag. The protection is adequate for two basses - I don't notice any dings on my basses. Regarding interior space - with two basses with straps on, the fit is tight, especially if one bass has an angled headstock.

The storage in the front pockets is quite nice - you can fit almost anything you might need in those pockets. With new, small amplifiers, you can put that in there also.

My biggest gripe with the undercover bag is the location of the front handle and shoulder straps. It sits up too high in the hand or on the shoulder. I hit EVERY door jam / stairs / car trunk, EVERY time.

In retrospect, I should have saved a couple of extra bucks and bought the levy's leathers double gig bag. The undercover is not a bad gig bag - it works quite well. Just not completely perfect.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    You still have to treat your bass with finesse no matter how good the padding.

11. jayman121

jayman121

I still have my Undercover bags. They do offer pretty good protection but if you put the bag down hard enough you will feel your bass hit the floor. I try to be gentle when doing that. Also the shoulder strap system is a little uncomfortable the way the bass sits. I have an iGig bag which offers superior protection and a lot of pocket space but it is bulkier and heavier and I also have a great bag that came with my Xotic XJ-1T. It's similar to the iGig but not as bulky, heavy or thick. I really like the Xotic bag a lot. There's no perfect bag. You just have to try as many as you can and pick the one for you. BTW I had a Reunion Blues Continental bag but it was too thick and bulky for me with not enough pocket space but it does offer excellent protection for your bass.

12. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have Undercover single (branded MTD) and double gig bags. Factoring in protection, weight, comfort and pocket capacity, I feel Undercover comes out ahead of other bags.

While other bags are: lighter or offer more protection or more comfortable or can carry more accessories, Undercover gets a high enough rating in all the categories that it's become my favorite gig bag.

13. Snarf

Snarf

I find that a gig bag sitting higher is preferable to me. Otherwise my bass is slapping me in the arse. I just know that I have to be very careful going through doors and the like.

14. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

My Undercover bags have always worked very well for me, however I do have one on which the zipper failed after many years.

I emailed info@undercovercases.com repeatedly, asking if they can repair it at my cost. I received no response at all. They completely ignored my messages, which left a very bad impression with me. I finally gave up and stopped sending emails.

Their bags are of good quality, but my experience indicates they don't want to do post-sale customer support.

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Can anyone post some pics of the new straps?

I have a Fodera branded double case and it's the only thing that fits my 36inch scale basses, but using it with just 1 bass in it on my bike is a killer, I'd be very interested in getting a single version with better straps for going to practice with.

16. jayman121

jayman121

I got a hold of Undercover and they said they could send me a new strap for my bag after checking shipping cost. After that I never heard anything else. I have tried emailing numerous times with no reply. Also I had an older bag which had a zipper problem. I took it to a luggage repair place and the tech just needed to adjust the slider part and it works fine now. It cost $10.00. I was ready to throw the bag away but now it's going great. A few years ago I asked Undercover about replacing the zipper and they told me it wouldn't be worth it and it would be better to buy a new bag. They used to have a lifetime warranty but it doesn't sound like it now.