1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Underpowered 4x10's??? or not???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LowendPhil, Oct 18, 2013.

1. LowendPhil

LowendPhil

I've read many of the discussions regarding clipping/underpowering/overpowering but my issue is this.

The head I'm looking to buy is a 350W head, 4x10 Cab & 1x15 Cab.

350W head @ 4 Ohms (240W @ 8 Ohms)
    4x10, 400W @ 8 Ohms
    1x15, 200W @ 8 Ohms

The Cab's impedance is halved therefore I interpret this to be a 350W head @ 4 Ohms to be halved to 175W to each Cab.

If I assume I am correct the 1x15 is just 25W below capacity (pretty close) and the 4x10 is 225W below capacity.

Is this too much headroom???? Am I going to be loosing potential from the 4x10's????:meh:
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

The 115 will not add much to your 410. You are better off without it, unless the 410 alone is not loud enough-in that case your best options would be a more powerful head through your 410, or (much better/louder) either a single, larger 4 Ohm cab (810 or 610) or adding a 2nd identical 410.

The 410/115 will work, but isn't optimal. The 410 will be far louder than the 115 and it's doubtful that the 15 is tuned lower than the 410 anyway. It WILL be a little louder than the 410 alone (but not much). The fact that the 115 will raise the 410 off the ground and get it closer to ear level will probably do more to change the perceived volume and clarity (on stage) than whatever comes out of the 115.
    In theory, you 'll run the risk of blowing the 15 if you are cranking or pumping up bass in with your eq, since the 15 will reach its' limit before the 410 and you may not hear the cab distorting until it's too late....this is probably not an issue with a 350 watt head unless you are diming it, but you never know. Search topics like mixing drivers on this site, pour yourself a dwink and read up :)
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

PS-underpowering is an old wives' tale. It's simply untrue. You can safely run a 25 watt head into either or both of those cabs with zero fear. You can search/read up on this as well.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

"If I assume I am correct the 1x15 is just 25W below capacity (pretty close) and the 4x10 is 225W below capacity."

If your vehicle has a top speed of 140 mph will it matter if never dive faster than 75 mph? ;)
  5. LowendPhil

LowendPhil

Cheers, this gives me something to think about. I want to keep the spend to a minium, without sacrificing quality/volume
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Skimp anywhere but the cabs. You don't have to get the world's greatest cabs, but don't go for bottom of the foodchain budget cabs.
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to ALL above. Avoid the 410/115 pairing, as it's totally unbalanced, and never skimp on spkr cabs- they're the most important part of your entire rig, including the bass itself.