Underrated Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by manolo578, Feb 15, 2013.

1. manolo578

manolo578

I've always thought that there were some bassists who never got their due for putting out the work that they did. I'd say Roger Waters and Roger Glover never got enough talk even though they had some good bass work.
  2. rtslinger

rtslinger

I don't think Jack Casady gets talk up a lot on here.

John William "Jack" Casady (born April 13, 1944) is an American musician considered one of the foremost bass guitarists of the rock music era and best known as a member of Jefferson Airplane. First playing as a lead guitarist with the Washington D.C. area rhythm and blues band "The Triumphs", he switched to bass during his high school years and while still underage (and with a forged I.D.), played the Washington D.C club scene, backing artists such as Little Anthony and the Imperials and Ray Charles. He became the bass player for Jefferson Airplane when lead guitarist Jorma Kaukonen, a high school friend and former Triumphs rhythm guitarist, invited him to join in late September 1965. Jefferson Airplane became the first successful exponent of the San Francisco Sound. Their singles, including "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit," had a more polished style and successfully charted in 1967 and 1968. Casady, along with the other members of Jefferson Airplane, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996
  3. fenderbassman40

fenderbassman40

Who's ever playing bass on the theme to "the People's Court."

The drummer on that Was pretty amazing also. Whoever that was could really work a hi hat like no other.
    mistergoats likes this.
  4. lowgroove677

lowgroove677

Tom Hamilton from aerosmith. That dude is a freaking monster. Great tone, great playing, and a good attitude. One of my top five favorite players. Unfortunately all anyone ever cares about in aerosmith is Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. What a damn shame.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Paul S. Denman and Adam Blackstone. I think that this thread has happened many times.
  7. Emilym80

Emilym80

Andy Rourke from the Smiths and John Deacon of Queen.
    jazznrick likes this.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Guy Berryman of Coldplay
  9. avvie

avvie

Dunno about Roger Waters...even he says he doesn't care to play well...
    Anyway, my entry is Gord Sinclair of The Tragically Hip....masterful at finding just the right glue to bind Baker, Langlois and Downey to Faye.
  10. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

Geddy Lee doesn't get the respect he deserves especially here from the Talkbass community. ;-)
  11. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

All amazing players, frequently left off the best-of lists...

Noel Redding
    Carl Radle
    Jim Dewar
    Johnny B Gayden
    Bill Wyman
    Chas Chandler
    Willie Dixon
  12. 4001

Gene Simmons
    KISS through the Love Gun album. 1974-1978
    Go ahead, flame me.
    Muddslide likes this.
  13. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

Gary "Gazza" Johnson comes to mind for me. I loved his playing with China Crisis. Highest High was one of the songs that had me wood shedding as a teen. I learned how to really play on top of the beat from that song.
  14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I used to think that about Waters but as I grew older I found more and more how I wish I could play like that. His sense of space is second to none.

If you're going to use one note in a measure you gotta be good.

15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Ok, Danny Thompson. This guy's a great unknown. And if you've never listened to Pentangle you might consider doing so.

Martin Turner. Listen to Handy and it that's not enough Vas Dis is just plain cool bass. And then there's the vocals.
  16. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
    +1 and thanks.
    I never knew the bass players name from China Crisis and often wondered who it was playing all those tasty licks. Working with Fire and Steel was one of my favorite albums in the 80's. I used to play Fire and steel, Animals In Jungles, and Wishful Thinking from that album when I was with a wave band in 86. I Just did a quick search on him and found out we share the same birthday. Who knew?
  17. Signs

Signs

I don't know if they are underrated or just not discussed often, maybe it's the same thing!!!???

But, they are really, really good as far as I'm concerned...

Tiran Porter
    Jimmy Johnson
    Chuck Rainey
    David Margen
    Alphonso Johnson
    Joe Puerta

I really like all these guys.
  18. Duckwater

Duckwater

Bass players in general are underrated IMO
  19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Phil Lynott (great song writer too)
    Brian Wilson (also a great song writer)
    Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

there is a very good reason some of these choices are under-rated.:bag:
    timobee4 likes this.
  21. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

My question is why are any of them ever rated to begin with? Just listen and enjoy. Like what you like. Don't spend a ton of time worrying about who does or doesn't get "enough respect". I'm sure the players themselves don't.